cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2012R2 with UEFI to Hyper-V

Serafim_Karfis
Level 2

Hello,

I have a full backup of a physical Windows 2012R2 Server with Backup Exec 15, and I want to restore it as a VM on a (different) Windows Hyper-V 2012R2 Server.  I tried using the SDR disk, but there seems to be a problem with the UEFI configuration, evn though the VM is Gen-2.

Is there a way to do this by using the SDR disk?  Or, is there another way to perform the restore?

Thank you in advance

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you seen this TN below?

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO98839.html

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not be using SDR to do your restore.  You should be using the B2V function to do your restore. During the restore, the appropriate VM drivers would be installed. The target VM host must be licenced with the hypervisor agent licence.

Serafim_Karfis
Level 2

Thank you both for your answers,

CraigV, I have seen the TN, but I don't see any particular part that can help my situation.

pkh, I have tried the B2V function, but I get the following error:

0xe000a471 - Conversion of Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) based computers is not supported.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I tried using the SDR disk, but there seems to be a problem with the UEFI configuration

Would you elaborate as to what the problem is ? For instance, SDR cannot restore from UEFI to BIOS based.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For you B2V conversion job, do you see any parameter to specify a Gen 2 VM?

Serafim_Karfis
Level 2

pkh, for the B2V there is no such option.  Only when you create the VM and then user the SDR.

The errors I get are the ones below (the second one is from a different server I tried to restore).  I tried using the Advanced Disk Configuration, but I could not find a way to make it work.

Is there another way to fully restore a server on different hardware?  For example, create the VM, setup OS, and then restore parts of the backup?  The server runs SQL Server 2014.

Thank you

server1.jpg

VJware
Level 6

Are you restoring EFI to BIOS ? This error usually crops up then due to firmware mismatch.

Serafim_Karfis
Level 2

So, what is the alternative?  Which is he best practice for restoring a server on different hardware?

VJware
Level 6

OS is sensitive to the type of firmware..So if the backup was taken in UEFI mode, then restore it in UEFI mode. If taken in BIOS mode, then restore it in BIOS mode. Configure the target VM with UEFI mode and then run the SDR restore.

Verbatim from SDR best practices - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO74439.html

• SDR supports recovering the computers that use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) standard. However, backups of UEFI-based computers cannot be restored to standard BIOS-based computers.

Note:

UEFI computers use GPT-style disks. MBR-style disk data cannot be restored to GPT-style disk, and vice versa.

For the computers that support both UEFI and BIOS firmware types, you must start the computer using UEFI firmware if you backed up the computer in that mode.