cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Agent upgrade problem

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi Support,

I notice that on some windows agent, the BE agent program will ask me to uninstall the previous be2010 R2 and then reinstall BE15 agent. But on some server it will proceed without uninstalling.

I upgraded the BE2010R2 windows agent to BE15 without uninstalling first on a Windows server 2003 x86.It says installation successfully,then I met a big problem that the BE services cannot start up with error The system cannot find the file specified

Then I tried to uninstall remote agent, but failed.

Tried to reinstall again. Seems the services can start up now,and there are two shortcut 2010 and 15 are pointing to same file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\vxmon.exe.The version of Beremote.exe is 14.2.1180.0.

but the CAS cannot add the server. It run pre-processing -> stalled -> no communication -> successfully. I can see the server in CAS during installation, but it is disppeared when successfully.

How can I uninstall the BE agent and reinstall?

7 REPLIES 7

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi VJware

Always appreciated for your help. the OS is Windows server 2003 SP2 and only use as BE agent.

The Backup Exec remote agent service is able to run now, and path to excute is "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe". This program version is already 14.2.1180.0, though the created time seems not correct. I upgraded it on these few days, but the created time is March 05 2015. The local system time is correct on this server.

Anything else can I check?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hope the Windows 2003 x86 server is completely patched up with SP2 and secondly, this will be used as a remote server for backup and not a MMS ? If you are adding this server as a MMS, then it wont work since BE 15 requires x64 media servers.

If adding the server as a remote server and not a MMS, then open services.msc, right-click the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows service and choose Properties. Check what is the "path to executable" set as ?

Secondly, you can delete the old shortcut.

Lastly, do you receive the error while starting the remote agent service or the remote agent utility ?

VJware
Level 6

If the remote agent service is running fine, run a backup and check.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

HI VJware,

I cannot add back the windows agent into CAS, so cannot make selection on this windows agent. Any way to reinstall the BE agent program ? I failed to uninstall it from add/remove programs.

VJware
Level 6

Use this link to manually uninstall the remote agent - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-backup-exec-2014-remote-agent-manual-uninstall

Reboot the server and then push the remote agent from the CASO server.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Too many actions to do and we have to delete registry key. Is this KB safe?

Saw some support suggest to delete the .key and .cer file in BkupExec\Data folder and retry. Do you think it is workable?

VJware
Level 6

Deleting the .key and .crt files is typically used when there are "trust relationship" issues. Though, by your previous comments, it sounds like a corrupt installation issue.

Alternative would be to log a formal support case and have an engineer assist you.