cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Backup vs. Backup Exec

Level 2
I have a general question about whether or not Backup Exec software is truly needed in my situation.

We have been using Backup Exec 8.6 for a few years now on a single Windows 2000 server. This server also hosted my MS Exchange server. We are now configuring two new servers to transition our domain to, mainly because we want to have a dedicated Exchange server and a dedicated data server. I have come to find out that we now need to have an additional remote agent license for our Exchange server, IN ADDIITION to the Exchange Agent. We originally only purchased a single copy of Backup Exec 8.6 and a single additional Exchange agent. I was under the impression that the Exchange agent INCLUDED a remote agent (like version 9.1 does), but apparently it does not in version 8.6. So now, my only choice is to upgrade to the latest version of Backup Exec and spend $700-$800 in order to have my Exchange server backed up ( I apparently can no longer purchase a remote agent for version 8.6 according to Veritas Tech Support). My real question is this: in my situation where I only have two W2K servers, and only one tape drive, do I really need all of the advanced features that Backup Exec offers? The basic Windows Backup software that comes with Windows 2000 server appears to do the job just fine, at least in my test environment. Does anyone have any experience with using the Windows backup software exclusively? Or, does anyone have any advice on why I should not do this and why I should go ahead and spend the money on the new Backup Exec software?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
'Fraid that if you have two machines and one tape device, NTBackup ain't gonna do it for you. You may get user data backups of the remote machine, but will not get disaster recovery type backups (No system state stuff)

You can always check EBay or some ot the other online auctions -