cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows File Server Migration

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Hi, I'm trying to move data from a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 using direct attached storage in a mixed Windows/Apple environment to an EMC NS120.  Folders that have old Macintosh data have all sorts of weird stuff going on with permissions and ownership, which caused problems with robocopy.  So I figured I'd just backup the data and restore it to the new CIFS server.  When the restore job runs it abruptly ends saying that it can’t determine the version of remote agent on the target computer (EMC CIFS server), which is correct, there is no agent on the box.  So I guess I’m wondering is this even possible?  Would I need to somehow specify not to use an agent on the backup job?  Or somthing else?

BTW, I’m using BE 12.5 SP3 Rev 2213 and I have another server running 12.0 SP3 Rev 1364, both have access to the source Windows File Server and the new destination EMC CIFS server via NDMP.

Thanks,
Matt

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
It's been a while since I've used robocopy...
Try Ycopy, and log all the files that dont copy over.  The logging is built-in, and the app is shareware (free)

Then use a mac to copy the data manually that didn't go over the first time.

You'll always have this issue between OS types as they each can support some funky permissions, file names, extensions, etc..

teiva-boy
Level 6
 On a side note, can't you in the NS120 attach to it via FC or iSCSI?

If so, then you could use Storage Foundation for Windows the free edition to mirror a volume from local host to the SAN vol's.  
Then mount it as a network share later?
By doing this, you are creating a drive mirror at the block level, ignoring the file system...

I know I just simplified the heck out of it, and there is much more to setting up a NAS/SAN, but there has got to be a number of ways to do this...

Alternatively, you should be able to redirect a restore to UNC.  Dont think you can restore an agent based backup to an NDMP target.

Matt_Tech
Level 4
I dont think that will work as that LUN really isnt a filesystem its just 1's and 0's, but I may be able to restore to that LUN, then copy from the LUN to a filesystem on the ultimate CIFS server.

So I created a test backup job (using BE 12) of the source server and tried to restore to the UNC path of the destination server and it's still looking for the agent.

How do I create a backup job in BE 12 or 12.5 that doesnt use the agent?  is it possible?

Thanks