cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Registry Keys for Publishing Remote Agent for Windows following upgrade

Devrin
Level 2

I recently upgraded from 2014 to 20.6 and most everything went well.  I found out that the CAS setup couldn't be migrated (SQL issue) so we had to manually add servers and recreate the jobs.  The only real issue that I have encountered is that I have one Windows 7 Pro 32-bit client that following the update to the Remote Agent for Windows pops a "Cannot obtain settings for the Agent for Windows publishing from the registry."

1856-BE-Agent Registry Error.PNG

I was able to find the registry key that had the old server settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Agent Directory List and modified this to include the new servers.  It still popped the publishing error.  I uninstalled the agent, reinstalled it both via push and manually, but I cannot get the publishing to pull from the registry.  I compared the registry to a successful 64-bit upgrade and found several missing keys.  I input the keys that I could (Remote machine ID for %computername% I figure is from the server once trust is established).  The server installs on the BE server but does not connect nor does it establish trust.

This is my only 32-bit Windows 7 Pro system, so I'm wondering if this is a 32-bit issue only.  Does anyone have any advice or input?

3 REPLIES 3

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello Devrin

Perhaps it helps to recreate the trusted connection or triggering an update from the context menu of the server in BE console.
If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

Lothar,

The push update from the BE server with establish trust completes successfully but the establish trust and establish connection commands from the console both fail (I think I noted this in the initial post).  Establish trust actually pops an error message (below) while establish connection does nothing.

Devrin_0-1632707452602.png

This is a validated and qualified instrument control system in regulated laboratory environment, so we need to be able to back it up.

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Devrin

Very intresting. Perhaps Debug-Logs shows more.

Try debug-logging through SGMON on the client. (Copy from BE-Server Program Files)

1) Log While the Agent Service is startet

2) Wait 20 Second and then log while try establish trust

I assume a lock or permission issue on the registry hive through a security software of the manufacturer of the system which only tagets "local system"-Account actions.

Another Question: are the registry key removed if you uninstall the remote agent?

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.