cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2003 backup error: a000fed1 HEX

k_alexis
Level 2
 When backing up a few (not all) of the Windows Server 2003 machines in our domain, we see this error reported in the event log:

Final error code: a000fed1 HEX

Final error description: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Has anyone else seen this error before, and if so, do you know the cause/solution?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

B_Michael
Level 3
 I also had the same problem.
My results of vssadmin list showed the DHCP writer has failed - retryable error.
Restarting the server had no positive results.

After inspection I noticed some of the RANT32 builds on remote workstations / servers wasn't the most current.
I uninstalled the existed and installed the most current RANT version builds (manually removed and reinstalled) .

After that backup jobs completed without issue.

Hope this is usefull

Michael

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Carls
Level 4
Hello,

from a dos prompt on the windows 2003 server run this command

vssadmin list writers

from the list - make sure they are all in a stable state - if not try rebooting the server - is this doesn't fix it - you will need to see MS about getting these fixed.

Also, make sure you are using 9.0 revision 4454, as this is the only version which supports windows 2003.

puterijawa
Level 3

B_Michael
Level 3
 I also had the same problem.
My results of vssadmin list showed the DHCP writer has failed - retryable error.
Restarting the server had no positive results.

After inspection I noticed some of the RANT32 builds on remote workstations / servers wasn't the most current.
I uninstalled the existed and installed the most current RANT version builds (manually removed and reinstalled) .

After that backup jobs completed without issue.

Hope this is usefull

Michael