cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2012 & Backup Exec 2012

TKSRV
Level 2

Hi, 

I'm having some issues installing Backup Exec 2012 on HP OEM Windows Server 2012? I am faced with this error " You cannot install a Backup Exec Server or remote Administratior on a Windows 8/Server 2012 computer. 

Ive searched a load of forums and they all indicate that it is compatibility issues. But I dont understand as I have installed Backup Exec 2012 version 14.0 on Windows Server 2012 Standard before. 

The only real differences between the installs is, the successfull install was installed using CD and the failing install i am using ISO which was downloaded. 

Can anyone shed some light on this at all?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It is a compatibility issue, and the reason for you getting it installed before is purely by chance. BE 2014 (which is currently deep into Beta testing) will support media server installations for Win2K12 and R2.

Currently BE 2012 only supports remote agent installations for Win2K12, and NOT R2. 

Thanks!

TKSRV
Level 2

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try the disc media tomorrow..

Let's see if chance repeats itself!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Even if you managed to load BE 2012 onto Server 2012, you would be using an unsupported configuration.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to explain this - one of the earliest Backup Exec 2012 releases did allow an install on Windows 2012, as although we released prior to Microsoft releasing Windows 2012 we did not code to block the install on anything greate than 2008 R2. (even though it was unsupported)

The later DVD/ISO media for Backup Exec 2012 (the ones that come with service packs slipstreamed (pr-applied) block the install.

If you install the version that does niot block the install on Windows 2012 you may have problems later (upgrading or uninstalling) as such if you happen to have the original release on DVD/ISO - DO NOT install it on Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2.