cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2012 slow backup performance

xadox
Level 5

I am trying to backup a Windows Server 2012 with Backup Exec 2012 SP2.

I have realy bad speed while backing up the Windows Server 2012. Around 700 MB/min. While backing up different systems I have around 3000-4000 MB/min.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sai_india
Level 3
Hi, We finaly have a temporary solution from Symantec. It seems that there is a problem with a dll (pdvfsprotocol.dll) they installed a new dll and now the speed is to an acceptable 3.5GB/min backup to de-dupe (still not the 6GB/min I used to have but a lot better) They said they are still finalising the dll for general public and I'm not allowed to install any Symantec updates untill they bring out the final update and contact me again. So for anyone out there with this issue I would advise to create a ticket with Symantec and let it roll from there. Lets hope the final fix takes it back to original speeds and it won't take to long to get it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Network, VM backup? What is the speed if you copy a couple of GBs of files between the media server and this Server 2012 server in question? Is this happening with any other Server 2012 servers?

Thanks!

xadox
Level 5

I am backing up over network while using the backup agent installed on the Windows Server 2012 mashine.

I have only one Windows Server 2012 to test. Copying files between the Backup Server and the Windows Server 2012 is working with around 100 MB/sec.

xadox
Level 5

After some more testing I can say that the backup speed is slowing down over time. At the beginning of the backup process the backup is running with around 2500-3000 MB/min. After some hours it is dropping down. After around 8 hours its at 900 MB/min.

sai_india
Level 3
Hi, We finaly have a temporary solution from Symantec. It seems that there is a problem with a dll (pdvfsprotocol.dll) they installed a new dll and now the speed is to an acceptable 3.5GB/min backup to de-dupe (still not the 6GB/min I used to have but a lot better) They said they are still finalising the dll for general public and I'm not allowed to install any Symantec updates untill they bring out the final update and contact me again. So for anyone out there with this issue I would advise to create a ticket with Symantec and let it roll from there. Lets hope the final fix takes it back to original speeds and it won't take to long to get it.

xadox
Level 5

The Symantec support also confirmed me today that they are working on a public fix. In the meantime I have to live with the slow performance.