cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server crashed with error e0008821 during backup job

Andreas_Schad
Not applicable

Hi!

Since Friday, we have big Problems with our Backup Exec version 12. We installed some Windows-Security Updates on Friday and sinc eFridayour Backup isn't working reliable. we've got many system-crashes during a backup-job. Are there any problems known with the latest security patches fom MS? Today i startet the liveupdate of backup exe, but the three updates i installed, didn't change the matter. i get the error e0008821 in be and the job is canceld with 0 bytes. In the system log i only get the error 1003 with the information. Fehlercode 000000b8, 1. Parameter 891928c0, 2. Parameter f7762090, 3. Parameter b8250000, 4. Parameter 00000000.

Perhaps anyone could help me?

best regards

Andreas

8 REPLIES 8

Gary_Head1
Level 2

Hi Andreas

I'm afraid I can't be off any assistance with resolving this issue for you but I can at least add to your comments by say we have had exactely the same errors as you in almost exactely the same circumstance. Since we updated our servers with the latest MS updates at the end of October we can not get a backup to work. We also then installed Symantecs latest hotfixes and now have the exact same error e0008821.

Lets hope they do something about this as something has gone seriously wrong and if what I suspect is right gradually as more and more people update their servers more and more will have Backup exec failures.

Many thanks Gary 

Waipapa_Eyecare
Not applicable

Did either of you get this sorted? we have just installed 12.5 on to a windows 2008 64bit server to backup Hyper-V guest and have the same problem. 

cheers

Doug

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Waipapa Eyecare gave a little of this info, but maybe you can all fill in some of the missing info below.

Are you other guys also using Server 2008 64-bit? What options/agents? Are you also backing up Hyper-V guests? All local backups, or are you using remote agents? What type of tape hardware? Are you using version 12 or 12.5?

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Actually I just found this: http://carlweiss.com/blogs/weblog/archive/2007/04/04/Symantec-Backup-exec-fails-with-errors-e0008821... regarding that same error being fixed on a 2003 install by installing a VSS patch.

I found this 2008 Server x64 VSS patch which says "Install this update to resolve an issue in which the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) does not back up virtual machines properly." If it is like the patch for 2003, it does not get delivered by automatic updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5eb76bda-8794-412a-9fd4-1bccbbc34c82&Displa...

barrywohl
Level 2

I am also having this problem since upgrading from Backup Exec 9.1 to 12.5.  I've got Windows Server 2000, Dell NIC 1gb network cards, and an IBM/Dell LTO3 400GB/800GB tape drive.

It looks to me like these problems go back to Backup Exec 10.  I am kind of surprised that I can't just get a straight forward fix.

These failures seem to always cause my Windows 2000 Server, my domain controller, to reboot.

Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming.

moto822
Level 2

Hi,

I am having the same issue since I installed Hyper-V on my windows 2008 server. every time I run the backup my server crashes. I tried installing that fix below and haven't had a chance to test but would love to know if anyone else is having this issue.

NormanRB
Not applicable
Hi, I'm having the same issue with my server rebooting during a tape backup job as well. I can run backup jobs all day so long as they go to disk. However, once I run a 'to tape' job, about two hours or more into the job, it will crash.

software
Windows Server 2003 x64 w/ SP2
ARCServe r12.5 Backup for Windows

hardware
HP DL385 G5
Dell 132T LTO2 Tape library w/ 2 write heads
Adaptec 39320A-R SCSI card

Any help is apprecitated. Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Isn't ARCServe 12.5 a Computer Associates Product - as such is this a genuine mistake or a windup?