cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Disaster Recovery

The_Green_Ant
Level 2
Hi all,

We are looking for the best way to create a full backup of WSS 3.0 that will allow us to make a full recovery in the case of a total server failure.

Are there any detailed guides explaining how to set up the job, and how to perform the restore?

Is it also possible to test the backup by restoring to a different server, or does it have to be restored to the existing server?

We are using the following:
Backup Exec 12.5 SP2
Remote Agent 2010 for Sharepoint
Windows 2k3 R2
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
8 REPLIES 8

Symanticus
Level 6
hi, why the Remote Agent is using the latest version 2010 ?

I'm also curious also if this is possible.

Symanticus
Level 6
but from memory, even with the current BE 2010 SharePoint Server agent it can only recognize the MOSS 2007 not the 2010.

The_Green_Ant
Level 2
Hi,

I have to correct myself.
It is the 12.5 version we have, not the 2010.

We received a free upgrade to 2010 for the agent, but since we do not have Backup Exec 2010 it was not required, so we did not install it.

The_Green_Ant1
Level 3
Not sure what is going on with this forum, my account just got reset...
But, anyway, back to the point.

My main question is: Can Backup Exec perform a full backup of WSS 3.0 which will allow a full recovery in the case of a server failure?

Symanticus
Level 6
Mr. Ant,

from my understanding is that if you want to backup and restore the server as a whole complete image in one go, you'll need to use Backup Exec SYstem Recovery.

if you use the BE 2010 only with the agent, then you'll need to restore the SharePoint object right after you rebuild the server, install the WSS 3.0 and configure it with the SQL Server DB.

The_Green_Ant1
Level 3
Thanks for the response Albert.

Is there any documentation for the steps required to do this?
Will I need to restore any other folders to restore all the customisations we have made, or is the Sever Farm option in the backup the only option we need to select?

There seems to be several areas where SharePoint appears in the selection list. Which ones need to be selected to make sure we have ALL data backed up.
We probably can run a full System Recovey option, but in the case that we want to restore SharePoint itself, do you know what needs to be selected to be able to bring it back in the same working condition?

Symanticus
Level 6
Mr Ant,

to be honest I 've no knowledge about the detailed steps you requested, however, let us wait for other response forthis matter.

Cheers,

AWT

robinsood
Not applicable

Microsoft sharepoint provides option to take total backup of shareppoint content database. You can create backup with the use of stsadm –o backup&restor functionlity. It will be better for you to create backup on other sever. More about backup and restore sharepoint