cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP as a VM on a Hyper-V host failing on GRT?

LANCO
Level 2

So I have a pretty straight forward setup. I have a single 2008 R2 server running Hyper-V that runs Backup Exec on the same server. It's backing up the entire server including 6 VMs that include 4 2008 R2 VMs (1 exchange, 1 sql, 1 sharepoint and 1 application server), 1 2003 server (legacy Sharepoint), and one windows XP (legacy reports server with no new data, but has to be running when users need to pull old data) to tape. They all backup fine except the windows XP vm. It's fully patched running SP3. I've reinstalled the Agent for Windows as well as the Hyper-V Integration Services, and I still get this error for backup:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\SERVERNAME\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\CardSource
V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'CardSource' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup ...
V-79-57344-38769 - Virtual machine 'CardSource' was backed up using an offline backup, therefore the...

I did notice that when I look at the integration services in Device Manager, it shows the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy system device, but it states (not supported) next to it and there is no services for it:

cardsource.png

Since it's going to tape, I'd just like to run a single job and have it be successful without exception. And since it's legacy data, I really only need it to be restorable as a full VM as we don't ahve the software anymore and can't install it on a new server and move the data. 

I've read that Windows 2000 wasn't supported for GRT, but I thought XP was supported. Any thoughts? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I remember correctly, there is no GRT support for XP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I remember correctly, there is no GRT support for XP.

LANCO
Level 2

If that's correct, is there any way I could disable GRT for just this VM and keep it for the rest so I can get a successful backup without exception?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. If you want to disable GRT then you have to back up this VM separately