cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows account for Backup Exec job

CCBNZ
Level 4

Hi expert,

Just a quick question, I want to backup a big folder by using Backup Exec. But I have removed the "system" account of NTFT  permission from some sub folders, is this the reason why the backup job fails on me? I have tried to use the "test credential" feature, and it says test fail. This is related to another post from me here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/Backup-Exec-2014-licensing/m-p/847183#M355047

I reason I have two posts is becuase I am not sure what is the exact reason of failure of the backup job, it could be a licensing issue or like this one a permission issue.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The Backup Exec Remoet agent services start as the System account - so whilst you do also specify a specific account against the remote system within Backup Exec itself, it is likely that any changes to the default permissions for the System  account in Windows could break Backup Exec's remote agent operation, as such you shopud probably put back the NTFS permissions that you have removed.

Please note: the WIndow's 'System' account and the Backup Exec's 'System Logon Account' are not the same thing, if you look at the details of the Backup Exec 'System Logon Account' it will have an AD user against it - and if you have removed the NTFS rights of this AD user then it will definitely break Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CCBNZ
Level 4

Please see attached screenshot. This is the result I got when I choose "System Logon Account" from the dropdown list.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The Backup Exec Remoet agent services start as the System account - so whilst you do also specify a specific account against the remote system within Backup Exec itself, it is likely that any changes to the default permissions for the System  account in Windows could break Backup Exec's remote agent operation, as such you shopud probably put back the NTFS permissions that you have removed.

Please note: the WIndow's 'System' account and the Backup Exec's 'System Logon Account' are not the same thing, if you look at the details of the Backup Exec 'System Logon Account' it will have an AD user against it - and if you have removed the NTFS rights of this AD user then it will definitely break Backup Exec.

Thanks a lot for answing.

That might be a issue then since I have removed the "System" from countless sub folders or sub-sub folders or sub-sub-sub folders and so on. Is that why the job of backing up the root folder fails? How can I add  the "System" account into root folder and proprogate into the sub folders without modifying the current NTFS permissons on them?

Regards