cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows is not recognizing my QUANTUM LTO-4 HH DRIVE

albcore
Level 3

I have a Quantum LTO 4 HH tape drive. I use it with backup exec.  I had used ir for a week with back up exec. but then I experienced a problem. backup exec. came up with an an error, that the tape drive was on pause.  I realized that the LTO drive was not even showing on the device manager. I tried a few things and no luck. Then to make sure that it was not software related problem  I reinstalled windows xp, reinstalled the driver for the LSI SAS card, reinstalled backup exec once again, but the problem was still there. Windows would not even recognize it as a device.  I could not see it under the device manager (before it would show up). Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? Could it be that there might be something wrong with the hardware itself or is there another issue which I do not know about. Please any advice is welcome. I thank you in advance J

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

May be a probelm with your SAS card...

To isolate the issue try connecting tape device to a different machine / different card.

Regards...

albcore
Level 3

The LSI SAS card shows up  perfectly fine under the device manager, but I will try your suggestion :) 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You don't mention your version of Backup Exec. In this case, you need to check for your version's HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) and verify that the LTO4 drive is listed as a supported drive.

If not, you'd need to upgrade to a version that does support the LTO4 drive.

Can you also please verify if Removable Storage service (RSM) is stopped and disabled, as this can also cause some issues with BE.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ craig,

Problem is not with BE. Windows is not detecting the tape device.

Regards..

CraigV

wink ...thanks for pointing it out. Didn't read it correctly...

I think there will be MS forums around this...

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi albcore,

I think it´s an hardwares problem.

The hardware can detect the tape drive?

Check cables, terminator...

albcore
Level 3

My drive was working fine with the backup exec. it was just yesterday (after i moved my computer) that the problems started occuring. 

CraigV

...moved your computer? How and where? Is the card still in the slot securely, and have you maybe tried reseating it?

Does the drive still have the terminator on?