cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish to create a backup rotation using usb hard drives and backup to disk folders

will-richardson
Level 2

Dear all,

I am looking to create a backup rotation using USB hard disks.

-----------------------------

Current Configuraton

-----------------------------

Backup Exec 12.4 for Windows Servers

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2

I wish to match the following rotation that we previously did with tapes:

• Daily (Mon-Sat) incremental backups on 1TB drives (rotate 2 drives off-site  - always keeping previous night's incremental offsite).
    • Daily Backups consist of the following jobs:
      • Server 1 – drive C: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 1 – drive E: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 1 – drive F: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 2 – drive C: (Domain Controller)
      • Server 3 – drive C:
      • Server 3 – drive D:
      • Server 3 – drive E:

• Weekly Full (Sun 12:00 am).  Approx 1 TB of data.  Backup Duration will likely be 18-20 hours.  To be retained for 1 month.
    • Weekly, Monthly & Fiscal Backups consist of the following jobs:
      • Server 1 – drive C: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 1 – drive E: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 1 – drive F: (B E Media Server)
      • Server 2 – drive C: (Domain Controller)
      • Server 3 – drive C:
      • Server 3 – drive D:
      • Server 3 – drive E:

• Monthly (First Sunday of month 12:00 am).  Same size and duration as weekly full.  To be retained for 1 Year.
  • Annual/Fiscal (last Sunday in October, 12:00 am).  Same size and duration as weekly full.  To be retained indefinitely.
  • Four 2TB drives for the "Weekly Full" rotation: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4.
  • One 2TB drive for the "Monthly Full" and one for the "Fiscal Full".

Current scenario:

• Daily (Mon-Sat) incremental backups on 1TB drive (remains onsite). One 'Daily backup to disk folder' created for this.
  • Weekly Full (Sun 12:00 am).  Approx 500GB of data.  Two 1TB hard drives. One rotates off-site each week.  One 'Weekly Backup to disk folder' created that both 'Weekly Full' drives utilize.

Questions I have about my desired scenario:

• Should I continue to have 'Backup To Disk folders' for just Daily and Weekly Jobs (two total)? Or should I be creating 'Backup to Disk folders' for Daily, Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Monthly and Fiscal (seven total)? Or should I have ‘Backup to Disk folders’ for each individual job?  I know it will function with just two folders, but I am concerned that it will create a mess, years from now, and that I could have used a more efficient method.
  • Policies.  Should I be able to achieve the desired scenario by creating 1 policy for the 'Daily' job and then 1 policy for the Weekly, Monthly and Fiscal jobs - including their respective selection lists?  I am new to creating policies and during initial attempts, was unsuccessful in creating new jobs using an existing policy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Will,

I would create folders for yearly, daily, weekly and monthly. With this you would create your media sets, and then you can direct your jobs to the specific folders. It's kind of like partitioning a library...same concept. You obviously have to create them on the necessary drives, using the technote above.

This means your jobs are directed to specific folders, and you will know where to pick up your data manually. I wouldn't worry too much about creating multiples of each folder...don't forget if your OPP and append periods are correct, you won't be overwriting the previous week's daily jobs for instance. My thoughts are always to keep things manageable and simple. If you move on, and someone else takes over, it is going to look like a mess. General admin of the backup system also becomes a bit of a nightmare if it is not carefully looked after.

for your Yearly backup, you can create a separate job and run it on a specific day. You might want to consider adding it to your GFS policy as a seperate job, and then create a rule so that the Yearly job runs instead of the Monthly job... 

Again...with the policy, you can do this with 1 GFS policy. It's going to create them as Monthly (first in the wizard), Weekly, and then Daily. You just select the type of backup (Full, Full, Incremental), and the wizard does the rest.

Hope this helps...?

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec for Windows Servers.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23694

CraigV

Hi Will,

I would create folders for yearly, daily, weekly and monthly. With this you would create your media sets, and then you can direct your jobs to the specific folders. It's kind of like partitioning a library...same concept. You obviously have to create them on the necessary drives, using the technote above.

This means your jobs are directed to specific folders, and you will know where to pick up your data manually. I wouldn't worry too much about creating multiples of each folder...don't forget if your OPP and append periods are correct, you won't be overwriting the previous week's daily jobs for instance. My thoughts are always to keep things manageable and simple. If you move on, and someone else takes over, it is going to look like a mess. General admin of the backup system also becomes a bit of a nightmare if it is not carefully looked after.

for your Yearly backup, you can create a separate job and run it on a specific day. You might want to consider adding it to your GFS policy as a seperate job, and then create a rule so that the Yearly job runs instead of the Monthly job... 

Again...with the policy, you can do this with 1 GFS policy. It's going to create them as Monthly (first in the wizard), Weekly, and then Daily. You just select the type of backup (Full, Full, Incremental), and the wizard does the rest.

Hope this helps...?

Laters!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As you state your Backup Exec version is 12.x  I would strongly suggest you upgrade to 2010 R2 as we added some enhancements to handle USB disk removal in that version that don't exist in any other versions.

CraigV

Hi Will,

Did you come right here?

will-richardson
Level 2

Thank you all for the help.

I did ultimately upgrade to 2010 R2 and used the GFS policy wizard to get a grasp on how things worked.

Will