cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to do a clean start of Bakcup Exec 2010

EdwinC
Level 3

Hello,

We have setup Backup Exec 2010 on a 2008 R2 server. We have ran it for a month using B2D folders and while everything is running okay, we have now added in a tape libray (Exabyte Packet Loader 1Ux10)

Found that adding the duplicatoin to the policies, that we could't run the dup job. Once the back up runs afgter the dup was added then it is fine.

But we would like to flush out all of the data and mainly start over. How best to clear out old the old data? Do we have to do a re-install or is their a way to clear the catalogs and then retire the b2d files and then delete them.

Will take any help

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Open BEUtility.exe...C:\prog. files\symantec\backup exec\beutility.exe

In the right pane, select the Backup Exec media server, and then click Recover Database from the Database Tasks options in the left pane
Select the option : Drop Existing database and reload from BASE....

This will reload a blank database

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This will wipe out all job defs, selection lists, policies and schedules, but leave the catalogs in place. 

if you really want to get rid of all your old catalogs and backup info, you also need to shut down Backup Exec, then delete the contents of your catalog folder and B2D files

When you restart, BackupExec will scan the \Catalogs folder to (re)build the catalog index and finding none, will present you with blank restore selections.   Of course this means that you will not be able to restore from any of thos backups   

(or did I completely mis-understand your intent?)

EdwinC
Level 3

Hello Ken,

You got the correct intent. I am considering starting over from scratch. I am a nebie to backup exec and Did have some test data that for left behind in the catolog.  We ar enot that far along that I couldn't do a clean start. Backup as still be done on the old software until we are 100% comfortable with backup exec.

We didn;t have the tape library installed when we first started and am having some difficulty with adding it to the jobs. Apperas from what I am seeing that the duplication job even after being added does not run as it can' access the previous run history of the b2d jobs.

Also had not really setup the b2d media with any time defaults so they were using the default of keep indefinently. This prevents them from being used over so it fillls up our drives.

Edwin

Dev_T
Level 6
did beutility worked?

EdwinC
Level 3
Hello,

We have not done it yet. Wanted to discuss over before we proceeded.

I will let you know. I think like Ken said it will be a combination of the two. Dump the catalog and then stop the services and delete out all the data files. Then once it restarts have a completed new database with nothing in it.

Thanks for your advise, it is appreciated as I am new to the product. Still working to get a good understanding of the product.

Regards

Edwin

Dev_T
Level 6
any news here?