cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write Protected????? Its Not!!!!!

S_Mike
Level 3
We are running BE9 on one of our servers. It works fine execpt for the fact it won't overwrite tapes.

It keeps telling me that the media is overwrite protected, which it isn't. Settings for overwrite media all seem to be correct.

We currently get around it on this server by re-labelling the media which ain't ideal but works for now.

Help!

Mike
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
The only time I have seen this is when there is live data from another backup still on the tape.  If the tape image has not expired or met its retention period it will show as "write protected"

Harry

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

THarry
Level 5
The only time I have seen this is when there is live data from another backup still on the tape.  If the tape image has not expired or met its retention period it will show as "write protected"

Harry

S_Mike
Level 3
Yes, Could be this.

How do I check, set or change retension periods?

Mike

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

The Media Append Period and Overwrite Period depends on the Media Set to which the Media is associated.

Example:
Media Set name = MediaSet1
Append Period = 3 days
Overwrite Protection Period = 1 day

The Media associated to MediaSet1 will Append to the Media for 3 days and after the 3rd day is over it will protect the Media for 1 day, means the Overwrite Protection period starts after the append period is over.

Whenever you run an Lable Media job, quick erase is performed on the Media and the Media is allociated to Scratch Media Set, thats the reason you are able to use this media because is overwritable now after Labling.

I think you much either lower down the Overwrite Protection Period so the media will be ready for overwriting.

Hope this helps !!!

S_Mike
Level 3
Ok, Harry put me on the right track.

In the media set the retention period was set to infinite, changed this and all appear ok now.

Thanks for both

Mike