cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write full and diff backup on one tape

fbsd
Level 3
Hello,
           I need help to configure symantec backup exec. 
           I need to configure to full backup on mondey and thu. to frid. differential backup.

I'm configured:
                1. Media set:  Name:  Media set 1  
                                         Ovrerwrite protection period: 1 week
                                         Append period: 4 days 

2. 1 Policy with 2 jobs
                                          Job 1: Full backup that starts on monday: overwrite media - using media set  Media set 1  
                                          Job 2: Diff backup  that start   on thu. - fri.:  append. - using media set  Media set 1  

Quastion: Is it that good configuration.
           Quastion: On mondey when full backup is finished, can diff write on the same tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You can schedule to run an inventory every Saturday.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is workable and you should be able to append the differentials to the tape.  However, you need to make the following changes:

Your OPP should be 6 days.  This is because the OPP starts from the end of the job.  If your Monday job starts at 10 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m.  The tape is write protected until 11 p.m. the following Monday.  When your next Mon job runs at 10 p.m., the tape is still write protected.

Your APP should be 5 days, so that Fri. differential can be appended to it.

fbsd
Level 3
Ok.
           I changed configuration. 
           I got two tapes. Can i switch tapes every to weekend with that configuration? 
           With that configuration if something happens to the office I have a cassette copy of spare.

Lablel name of tape 1 was: tape_1
                     Lablel name of tape 2 was: tape_2

Example:
                      First weekend: Tape_1
                      Second weekend: Tape_2
                      Third weekend: Tape_1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sure.  Just associate the second tape with the same media set as the first tape.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Bear in mind your Overwrite protection needs to be dependent on the time for the end of the last job to write to the tape - which is the end of the last differential not the end of the full. Other than not making that clear PKH  is essentially correct.

The length of the Overwrite periiod needs to be slightly less than the time difference between the start of the next full and the usual/average end of the last differential (and is usually worth specifiying in days (for simplicity) for jobs based on weekly or bi-weekly rotations of media.

fbsd
Level 3
End of first week and tape_1 is going to end. Week 2 i will plug the strached tape_2.
Quastion: 
Week 3: When i plug tape_1 files gonna be 1 week older. Should i strach the tape_1 on week 3 or full backup gonna to the overwrite?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as your OPP is 6 days or less, you should be able to just pop the tape in, inventory, and BackupExec will know that it is no longer protected and write to it with no further intervention from you

fbsd
Level 3
When i plug the tape_2 should i do inventory or not?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When i plug the tape_2 should i do inventory or not?

If you are using a stand-alone tape drive, yes.

If you are using a tape library,  you do an inventory if you are not using barcode labels.  Otherwise, you do a scan.

fbsd
Level 3
Drive was ULTIUM-3 SCSI    HUE0911FP6
and i got two tapes.
How can i see is it using barcode lables or not?

tape one got name: tape_1
tape two got name : tape_2 

fbsd
Level 3
Can I schedule a scan inventory every Saturday or I have to do it manually to Symantec see new tape?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You can schedule to run an inventory every Saturday.

fbsd
Level 3
Greeting

Comes the third week and need to insert the first tape Data on the tape 1 are one week old because I used the second week of the second strip. Do I need to do strech tapes or the data from last week will be automatically copied?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In the Media tab, you can click on the tape and check whether it is overwriteable.  If it is overwriteable, then you can just put it in the tape drive and your job will be able to write to it.