cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing Backup of Information Store to NAS

Martin_Schenk
Level 2
Hello everybody,

first of all I have to say that I am from Austria, therefore we have a German version of Backup Exec 11d so I am not sure about the respective English terms and labels used in Backup Exec.
We have a server running Exchange 2003 with a MSSQL 2000 database on a Windows 2003 SBS. Now we want Backup Exec to create backups of Exchange Information and write them to a NAS device. I figured that the best way to achieve this is to set up the NAS as a Backup-To-Disk-directory, which worked fine. I managed to create a backup on the NAS (BE initially told me that it could only make an Exchange backup on a local NTFS-Partition, but there was an option somewhere that convinced BE to write the Backup to the NAS over the Network). Now I want to restore (for testing) a single, individual Mail. How do I do this? Where can I choose which Mail to restore?

Thanks in advance,
MartinMessage was edited by:
Martin Schenk
2 REPLIES 2

Martin_Schenk
Level 2
I just tried to backup the Information Store on a local NTFS partition of the server, and it worked. Recovering a single mail was also no problem. Since my last post, I also switched from Evaluation-Version to Licensed, thereafter, the "Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option" disappeared. I reckon it is not included in the license. The problem is: I obviously cannot store the backup on the NAS device without this ADBO.
Is it possible to store the backup of the Information Store on a NAS rather than on a local NTFS partition WITHOUT the Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option? Whenever I try to select the Backup-To-Disk Directory on the NAS as target device for the backup, I get an error message saying that only local NTFS partitions are valid targets for the backup. But this message only appears if I try to backup the Information Store. Backing up the file system is no problem.
So is it a technical problem or a license issue? Before I entered the license key, I had this "Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option" where I was able to select the Checkbox "Backup to different host" or so (in german it is "Sicherung auf einem anderen Host"). Thereafter, no error message appeared, the backup process finished with no errors, but, if I remember correctly, I was not able to select individual mailboxes or even mails to recover (therefore my initial question).

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

With Backup Exec 11.0 it is possible to restore individual emails from a backup of information store.It is not required to backup individual mailboxes.

This feature- Granular Restore Technology option-requires a Backup to Disk which is on a local NTFS partition.

With the above option disabled backups can still be run to a remote non-NTFS partition.

For more information please read:

"V-79-57344-4608 -The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job must be on a local NTFS volume. Create a new backup-to-disk folder on a local NTFS volume or modify the current folder, and then submit the job again" may occur during backup to a Backup to Disk folder.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/286216

Regards
Padmaja