cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong media set being used

fjumayao
Level 3

I am currently using Backup Exec 12.0.  I have two main media sets. One is for full system and has no overwrite and keep for infinity and the second set is Differential set and has an overwrite period of 6 days.  Whenever I rotate back some of older full system media sets I usually associate as "Scratch" so it can be re-used. The issue is that my differential backups are using the "scratch" media instead of the differential that is now available for overwrite.  How do I prevent my differential backups from using my scratch set, which is for my full system backups and continue to use the differential sets???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on Tools->Options->Media Management-> Select " Use Recyclable media before using

scratch media".  The media whose overwrite protection has ended is called recyclable media.

So instead of picking up scratch media BE will use the tapes from differential media set

whose overwrite protection period has ended.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

Click on Tools->Options->Media Management-> Select " Use Recyclable media before using

scratch media".  The media whose overwrite protection has ended is called recyclable media.

So instead of picking up scratch media BE will use the tapes from differential media set

whose overwrite protection period has ended.

fjumayao
Level 3

Thank you so much!  You're da man! yes

AndyLi
Level 2

Currently, I just replace a new tape in my HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader for full backup. After that, I try to "Inventory"  8 slots, but in this new tape's slot which becomes "Scratch Media" on "Online Media", I checked with "Help" menu that implying this is a "Blank Tape". The old one I took out which is located at "Offline Media" right now. So, I have to label the "Scratch Media" with the previous label name and the same time I try to associate it with "Media Set". The question is I check with those "Help" menu in which it mentions "Note: Associating scratch or imported media with a media set is not recommended.
Backup Exec automatically associates scratch or imported media with a media set
when a backup job requires it."
  Should I have to associate it or not?

Andy

AmolB

Open a new forum thread.