cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

absolute file names on SQL on-disk copies

Dude16
Level 4

I am running Jungledisk (an off site backup client) that needs an absolute path and file name to backup files. Backup exec had this feature under the "Microsoft SQL" item in the configuration of a backup job called "Create on-disk copies of SQL backups to be placed on the SQL server where the database is located". This looked promissing except no mater what I put in the "save to path" field, I can not get it to use an absolute path and name. It always names each backup with a unique name. This breaks the off-site backup system which needs to file compare files with the same name and only copy the blocks that have changed. Are there any special characters or regular expressions I can use in the "save to path" textbox to define a path and file name that never changes? I want the same named file to be overwritten every backup. If not are there other solutions?

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When using the option "Create on-disk copies of SQL backups to be placed on the SQL server where the database is located" it just gives the feature to give the path where to keep the copy. The name of the .BAK file will change as per the date and time when the backups are taken.

There is no official option to keep the name of the .BAK file same. May be in your Jungledisk software you can provide just the folder which needs to be backed up instead of specific name of file.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Dude16
Level 4

Yes but that is not a viable solution because it means I have to manage that folder by deleting its contents as it will grow in size indefinitely. And since the file names will be different, the Jungledisk system that copies only the file blocks that have changed through a file name comparison will break. This will cause what otherwise would be a 300K upload every night be a 20 gig upload. Also the cloud storage will fill up. This is a bad solution for both bandwith cost, storage costs. 

Any other workable solution?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are not running incremental backups, then you could the SQL Server Management Studio to backup the database.  This way you can control the name of the backup set.

Dude16
Level 4

I am doing incrementals for local backup with BE. Only the offsite backup is not incremental because Jungledisk keeps its own versioning. The obvious solution as you said would be to run both the SQL Manager Studio backup for offsite and BE for local. I have tried this. However this does not work because of this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/pt-br/forums/hyper-v-backup-conflicts-sql-backup

So I have no solution.