Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agent for vmware and SAN option

JohnnyLeung
Level 3

Hi All

I have the following infrastucture setup:

3x esxi vmware host server

1x vcenter + backup exec server (backup for LAN network), connected 1 SAS type drive

1x backup exec server (backup for DMZ network) connected 1 SAS type drive

1x SAN storage with FC 8Gb connection

All the above are connected with FC 8Gb connection to the SAN switch.

We want to Backup to Disk on MON-THUR, and backup to tape on FRI

May I know except AVVI(agent for vmware), do we need SAN option as well for this infrastructure setup?

Totally how many licence do we need?

Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) 3x esxi vmware host server -->> 3 AVVI License as they are licensed as per number of Host

2) 1x vcenter + backup exec server (backup for LAN network), connected 1 SAS type drive -->> 1 Backup Exec Base License key

3) 1x backup exec server (backup for DMZ network) connected 1 SAS type drive -->> 1 more Backup Exec base License key

4) May I know except AVVI(agent for vmware), do we need SAN option as well for this infrastructure setup? Yes only if you are sharing One tape library between two Backup Exec servers as in point (2) and (3) above. Or else if you are not sharing the Tape library then you will not require the SAN SSO License.

Totally how many licence do we need? 

-->> Total 6 if you are buying SAN SSO License too as explained in point (4)

-->> Else 5 Licenses if you are not buying SAN SSO License.

Note: For every extra server in the DMZ network which needs to be backed up you will require that many Remote Agent License.

Thanks,

-Sush...

JohnnyLeung
Level 3

Hi Sush

Thanks Sush

In my case, each backup server has a tpye library. but 2 backup server connect to the same SAN storage. In this case, do I need the SAN option?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, only if the two media servers would share one tapelibrary.

So in your case the SSO options is not needed.

JohnnyLeung
Level 3

In Daily backup, I will backup to disc (SAN storage) for both backup server. Do I need in this case?

Does it a LAN free backup(backup data passing through the fiber connection)?

Sorry, I am really confuse on this.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, normally you would assign a separate LUN to each of the Backup Servers (two LUNs) for a backup to disk folder for each server. BE sees this as 'local' disk. So no SSO license is required.

Also the advantage of the AVVI agent is to use the SAN transport method, also not requiring a SSO license.

Colin_Weaver

The AVVI License allows a LAN Free/SAN based backup for the VMs in the SAN storage, if you have any non VM backups that you intend to do SAN free then things get more complicated.

Also just to confirm the SSO option is to share tape devices/libraries between servers and not needed just to access SAN storage.- although as described if you are using your SAN storage as a B2D or DeDuplciation target then you would create 2 LUN's one for each media server so they they actually see the storage as separate even though they are in the same array.

JohnnyLeung
Level 3

Hi Colin

Thanks for your explaination. Do you have any official document to explain on this?

Colin_Weaver

Well you could start with the information in the Admin Guide relating to the Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastucture.

You won't see LAN free mentioned in this chapters relating to VMware - as the setting is SAN Transport Mode. - this is the same teminology used in VMware's own documentation too, so you could read their documentation on SAN Transport.