cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all Exchange E00xxx.log files in one Logfile after BE2012 SP2 upgrade

goro1503
Level 4

Hi all,

after I upgraded my BE-2012 SP1a installation with the SP2 I see a strange effect with my exchange-2010 grt-backups.

I do a full grt backup of my exchange (version 2010) Exchange-DAG to a storage device. In the BE-2012_SP1a version the backup created on the
storage device a IMGxxx-folder with the following content:
see picture-> "multiple-logfiles.jpg
In this folder there is the xxx.edb databasefile, some other files and all the E0xxx.log files.

Now, after the update with SP2 after I create a backup (same job, no changes made in the job) i get an IMGxxx-folder with the following content:
see picture ->"new-one-logfile.jpg
In this folder, all the E0xxx.log files are now combined in a file named "Logfiles" and the "Logfiles.man" file is also new. All other files are the same as in SP1a.

Question:
1) Why did Symantec change the way the write the logfiles to the b2d-storrage for grt-fullbackups in SP2??

2) How can I get the all the logfiles again from the newly created "Logfile with the Logfile.man". I need all the logfiles
    separate, because I use the" PowerControls for Exchange" tool to restore infos from the exchange-backup.

regards

goro1503

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a design change in terms of how Backups are written to the Disk Storage. I am not sure if there is a manual way of getting the log files back.

goro1503
Level 4

Hi Jaydeep

thanks for your answer.
What a stupid decission from the the SP2-programmer team to change the format how the log-files are
written to the storage. How stupid musst a programmer be to code such a nonsense. In my believe, there
is no technical reason to change the way these files are written.
It's a pitty, I had to install the SP2 because of a support call with symantec. They told me, this would
resolve one of my problems with BE2012. Ok, this error has gone, but others have appeared, but the worst is,now our long time implemented recovery process doesn't work anymore the way it worked.

Since a long time ago, exchange GRT- backup files are allways write in a format to the B2D storage
in the same format as the are on the exchange-storage device. But now, with a service-pack, which
should fix errors and improve the product, they destroy it more and more.
In our high-school we have an exchange-recovery process implemented (since BE12.5) , which
creates full GRT backups to B2D devices. Then, we used to use PowerControls for exchange to
create PST files from the mailboxes. Needed are the xx.edb and log-file from the B2D storage from BE.

But now, with this crazy, stupid change, I can't use this new "Logfiles", therefore, the PST files is not
as acurate as it could be, with separate logfiles.
I know, with BE2012 I can create PST files. But I trust our long-time used "PowerControls" tool more than BE2012. This new BE2012 has a long way to go, to get the stable, trustworth an usabillity
which the older BE versions had.

an angry and disappointed longtime BE-sysadmin

goro1503

Colin_Weaver

Hi Goro1503

There was a technical reason for the change, it was done specifically because of performance issues seen in environments which have a lot of mail throughput and generate a lot of log files between backups. Whilst the diffrence is more obvious if your target device is a dedup folder performance benefits were also seen with B2D devices.

C.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Colin has accurately explained the reason for the change made. Having said that, BE 2012 has the ability to restore mail contents (GRT) to a .pst file. You could try this feature it should do what you need.

Here is a How-to about restoring to a pst

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191622