cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

allow this job to have direct access to the device >problem

VIP
Level 2
hi guys
I'm new in direct access feature of backup exec and become a little confused.
my media server is on windows server 2008 ent. I cearte a deduplicate device accordin to symantec document like this

and add remote agent with direct access to my server. but now when I want to ceate new policy option "allow this job to have direct access to the device" is in gray and is inactive.
why and how can I fix it?

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the template within your policy, select "Device and Media" tab and choose Dedup folder from the drop down menu for "Devices". Once you select a dedup device, you would see "Allow direct access... " available to be selected.

So, to summarize, in order for "direct access" feature to work, these are the three places you need to look at:
1. Make sure the check mark for "allow remote agent for direct..... " is selected in the Dedup folder properties, as seen in the screenshot you have provided.
2. Add the Remote Machine as "Remote Agent for direct access" under the Devices tab.
3. In the template within the policy or the backup job properties, select the dedup device as the destination and then choose "allow remote agent.... "

Once all three steps above are performed, direct access should be functional.

Please mark this a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi VIP,

Unless that dedupe folder is going to be used by a remote server, there is no need for that option to be in use. If this is the case, it explains why that option is greyed out, as it is your local server making use of the folder itself.

Laters!

VIP
Level 2

thanks for your guide, so please,can you help me how can I use direct access feature?

CraigV
Hi there,

If you are only backing up a local server with locally attached storage, it would simply be a case of selecting that option in Tools --> Options.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the template within your policy, select "Device and Media" tab and choose Dedup folder from the drop down menu for "Devices". Once you select a dedup device, you would see "Allow direct access... " available to be selected.

So, to summarize, in order for "direct access" feature to work, these are the three places you need to look at:
1. Make sure the check mark for "allow remote agent for direct..... " is selected in the Dedup folder properties, as seen in the screenshot you have provided.
2. Add the Remote Machine as "Remote Agent for direct access" under the Devices tab.
3. In the template within the policy or the backup job properties, select the dedup device as the destination and then choose "allow remote agent.... "

Once all three steps above are performed, direct access should be functional.

Please mark this a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

VIP
Level 2

thanks so much.
with your help , it's OK now.
thanks agian

CraigV
Hi VIP,

Can you close this off as solved with the posting that helped?

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6
Dont forget to upgrade to BE2010 R2.  This fixes a lot of the dedupe issues you probably will encounter...

Add to that, "Direct Access," has been renamed to be clearer on its intended use.  And that is, to enable client side deduplication, vs using media side deduplication.