cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic restore after a backup job is finished.

mnjoe
Level 3

Here is what happened. A user deleted and entire folder and came to me to restore it. No problem right!!!  went to the previous nights backup and and started the restore job and received an error that the tape drive was not responding. Got on the phone with Dell for 6 hours and tested several things. The last thing tested was disconnecting the tape drive from the server and doing a random tape move. That failed!!   Replaced the tape drive. Took them from thursday to Monday mornig to get the drive in. Restarted the restore job from scratch. Failed again. Replaced the cable, terminator on back of tape drive. I then figured try a different tape. Tried the tape from tuesday nights backup instead of wednesday backup. It worked. Now I figure the brand new tape less than 2 months which is used every other week was bad also. I do run the verify at the end of the backup up jobs and everything was showing succesful (green) for the backup jobs. I want to create a bogus folder with just a few files in it and do a small restore job at the end of the backup job just to verify everything is OK. Is there a way to do this automatically using the previous nights tape just as a test.

Thanks
Joel
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, no can do.

The way that BackupExec  is written, an entry for the data to be restored must exist in the catalog when the Restore Job is created

We, the user community have been asking for the ablilyt to "restore file XXXX.EEE from the last cataloged version of job TTTTTTTTTTT since at least v8.0, but so far, nothing has come of it

You can add this to the "Ideas" are  of the forum (menu bar, far right) if enough others give it a "thumbs up" then it may be included in a future release

mnjoe
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I will add it to the ideas.

Joel

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Slight correction if you are good at scripting you can do it.

You have to use bemcmd.exe to work out the backup set details for the last time a specific recurring backup job ran and then take the output of this bemcmd command, manipulate it a bit and then use bemcmd with some different options to create a restore job to start immediately.

Writing scripts of his nature is not something that BE Tech Support offer customers, however I suspect there are individuals out there that have something in place that will work.

BTW I second the ideas section comment as this is asked for quite often.