cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up QNAP NAS with Backup Exec 15

Tobias_Bundy
Level 3

Hi Forum-Members,

I am trying to backup a QNAP NAS (Firmware 4.1.4) with Backup Exec 15. There are only SMB-shares present on the NAS.

Since I did not succeed with getting any Linux Agent to run on the QNAP, I was trying to backup my files by using the "activate selection of user shares" option (sorry, if the translation is wrong, I am using a German localized version of BE).

However, no matter if I try to access the NAS-device with a domain account having full access rights on the shares or the QNAP's admin-account, I can't see any shares in the NAS's entry within the Microsoft Windows Network list.

When entering the UNC-Paths of the shares when creating a backup job, BE reports a communcation error.

I suspect, that BE fails setting up the trusted connection, which I always have to activate.

Is there a way to set up a backup job without a trusted connection, or what way would you recommend to backup a QNAP-NAS with BE15 ?

Regards

Tobias

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can't load an agent on the NAS, but you need a remote agent license installed on the media server, so make sure you have that.

Also, make sure that you've got the credentials correct when trying to access the shares from the media server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you can't see any shares in the NAS's entry within the Microsoft Windows Network list, then it is a Windows problem. BE cannot see what Windows cannot

Tobias_Bundy
Level 3

Hi,

I am currently running in Trial mode, so I assume, that I have all the licences I need.

Strangely enough, I can see the NAS's shares in Windows Explorer without any problems.

Regards

Tobias

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you following this KB (is applicable to BE 15 as well) - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH189560.html

Alternatively, if the QNAP is capable of iSCSI, you can present the data to a server and backup the data using a remote agent.

Tobias_Bundy
Level 3

Hello VJWare,

I konw that KB-article, and I followed it, however after adding the NAS's FQDN or IP-address I get an error message which roughly translates to "The server could not complete your request. The root-element could not be called by the Agent. possible cause. a communication error occured".

I will give the iSCSI-approach a try.

Regards

Tobias

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you add the BE credentials to the NAS as a local admin with full read/write access to the entire volume?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Before trying iSCI, see if this helps -

On the BE media server, browse to the following path:
HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Server
Create a new DWORD Value named  MaxRpcDatablockSize
Change the Decimal value of the MaxRpcDatablockSize to 5242880
Create a new DWORD Value named MaxRpcSize.
Change the Decimal Value of MaxRpcSize to 5242880
Restart all Backup Exec Services.

Also, try adding the NAS to the BE server's host file.

Lastly, try this - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be2014-cant-add-synology-nas