cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up shared folders quandary

dlt1928
Level 3

Hi,

I just upgraded to BE 2014 and pretty much having to go through and recreate all the backup jobs.  My quandary is the shared folders.  the shared folders are either on the C:\ or D:\ E:\ .  if I backup these entire dives, do I really need to also backup the 'shared' folders?  the shared folders show up in addition to the drive letters in the Backup Definitaion Properties.  If I leave these in the backup selection am I backing up the folders twice?  I have been backing them up in the past but if it's redundent I'd like to remove them from backup to save space and time.

would like input please,

Thanks,

D

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I've always backed up shared folders by backing up the drive and the System State. If the server crashes, restore to the same server or redirect your restores to another, and restore the System State.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are backing up the underlying drive, then no need to backup the shares separately.

If selection of user shares is enabled from BE settings and if one does select the underlying directory/drive and also selects the share itself, then data is backed up twice. You could consider disabling the selection of user shares from BE button - Configuration & Settings - BE settings - Network & Security.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I've always backed up shared folders by backing up the drive and the System State. If the server crashes, restore to the same server or redirect your restores to another, and restore the System State.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are backing up the underlying drive, then no need to backup the shares separately.

If selection of user shares is enabled from BE settings and if one does select the underlying directory/drive and also selects the share itself, then data is backed up twice. You could consider disabling the selection of user shares from BE button - Configuration & Settings - BE settings - Network & Security.

dlt1928
Level 3

Thanks VJWare.  I disabled the selection of user share.  backups taking up less space now. 

Thanks much!