cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup 40GB-folder through slow connection (4MB\min)

Paul_Tv
Level 2

Hello,

I need to develop a procedure about How to backup a big folder (>40GB) through a slow connection (4MB\min).

I have: BE 2010R2, Server 2003/2008R2, 4MB/min connection.

I guess the procedure should look like this:

- Make full backup or Copy files (tape, ext. hard drive etc) on the remote site

- move it to local server with BE2010

- unarchive / copy to local HDD

- Made a Backup job, Schedule Full Backup using local folder

- Change the source and point it to the remote server with BE2010 agent on it

Is there any recommended procedures how to backup a realy big folders through slow networks?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Install a trial copy of BackupExec in the remote site.  Backup to disk (your external HDD)

Mail it back to your main site.

You'll create a B2D folder using the external drive

Run an import job to get BE to know about the data that is on there.  Heck run a catalog job too.

Then do a duplicate job to the dedupe folder.

From there your client side enabled dedupe jobs should only be the segment level backups going forward.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

The most important part you left out, is not the "how much you are backing up."  But rather, what is the rate of change per day?

If leveraging the deduplication option in BE2010 R2, your steps more or less are it.  Backup to tape or disk using a copy of BackupExec (even in trial mode)

ship to main site

Import data, and duplicate it to the dedupe storage folder

Enable client-side dedupe on the remote hosts over the slower WAN link

resume backup.

Now if your rate of change is greater than the link allows within your backup window, you may have to look at a local backup server.

Paul_Tv
Level 2

Thanks!

"rate of change per day" depends on the jobs on that server. It is pretty low now so I hope that incremental backup and dedup will work fine for us.

I can't find a way how to import the backup exec media. Most likely I'll use an external HDD to make a full backup.

Is it a restore job from an external HDD redirected to the dedup folder?

So Backup Exec Dedup is smart enough to find that folder, compare with remote folder and backup only changed info?

Thanks again

teiva-boy
Level 6

Install a trial copy of BackupExec in the remote site.  Backup to disk (your external HDD)

Mail it back to your main site.

You'll create a B2D folder using the external drive

Run an import job to get BE to know about the data that is on there.  Heck run a catalog job too.

Then do a duplicate job to the dedupe folder.

From there your client side enabled dedupe jobs should only be the segment level backups going forward.

Paul_Tv
Level 2

Thanks