cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore files with ntfs and share file permissions

Nael
Level 3

Can I backup file server with all permissions  and restore them to a different hardware with the original ntfs and share file permissions ?

Note : I am using Backup Exec 2012 .

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, you would do this with a redirected restore!

THanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Because share level permissions are not held by the file system, but by registry etc, then these are restored by the System State and not via an individual restore as such you can get them back for a complete DR of the server as long a you backed up the System State, however for anything less then complete DR you should maintain adequate documentation so that if needed you can correct or recreate settings for shares.

The file system permissions are part of NTFS and can be restored using the options in the restore job properties.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV

Yes, you would do this with a redirected restore!

THanks!

Nael
Level 3

thx CraigV , my status now is that i am going to expand the file server storage on the same server , what is the trusted way i have to do (Best Practice ) ? 

CraigV

Check the Admin Guide on pg. 687...this will be an option in your restore tab when you start the restore job. Simply select where you want to restore too.

Nael
Level 3

This page talking about clusters , that is not my Q ..

CraigV

Whoops! Sorry for that, wrong page.

Anyways, click the Restore tab to launch the wizard. 1 of your options would be a redirected restore. Just select the location you want to restore too.

Nael
Level 3

just i want to confirm using a document that the restore will complete including the NTFS Permissions and share Permissions , is there a document proves that ?

CraigV

If you refer to the admin guide it would be in there.

Nael
Level 3

I did not found it .

CraigV

Here's a link for restoring files using BE 2010 but the concept should be the same...just look for the same options on your Restore wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23097

Thanks!

Nael
Level 3

Thx CraigV , but what about the share permissions ? is it possible ? and if yes is there a document says that ?

Piippu
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Shares and their permissions are in windows registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996

If you still have original host down it's easiest to export

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares

and then import that to new machine.

Nael
Level 3

I think this will not help, as i will now change the partition that contains the files to another in the same server .

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Because share level permissions are not held by the file system, but by registry etc, then these are restored by the System State and not via an individual restore as such you can get them back for a complete DR of the server as long a you backed up the System State, however for anything less then complete DR you should maintain adequate documentation so that if needed you can correct or recreate settings for shares.

The file system permissions are part of NTFS and can be restored using the options in the restore job properties.