cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 12.5 - e00084d9 error when trying to back up to tape

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
i've had nothing but problems trying to get 12.5 to run correctly on win2k8 r2 x64 server. i moved from win2k3r2 w/backup exec 9.1. i have an exabyte vxa-2 ide tape drive.

be installs a qic157 driver, is this correct?

i could not catalog 99% of by backup to disk jobs that were created in win2k3. i could not catalog 100% of the tape jobs.

finally said the hell with the catalogs and set up new jobs. the backup to disk jobs seem to run, at least they ran 3 days in a row. the tape jobs always fail with the same error, E00084D9, there was an error processing the on tape catalogs.

i've erased the tapes, and after that,  i can label the tape, i can inventory the tape and i can catalog the tape. but i can't do a backup to it. the online kb article says something about rights to the catalog folder. if this was a problem, i couldn't do a backup to folder job, either, and these work.

so, what can i do to try to figure this out?
16 REPLIES 16

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
it might happen due to some unknown corruption . you can try renaming the catalogs folder to .old and create a new catalog directory ... and try runnin g the back up again .

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
thanks, rahul. i tried that. i tried moving it to a different drive, too. i can do a full backup to a disk folder, but i can't back up one file to tape. so, it's probably nothing to do with the catalog folder itself.

if i set the job to do a retension, the job fails with this error as soon as the retensioning starts, even before trying to write to tape.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

retension should not have any effect ...but still you can remove the retention and try runnign the backup again ..also try using a different tape and check if any error reported int eh event log

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
i don't retension, i just added it to see if it made a difference, but it failed as soon as the retension started. just pointing out that the backup process hadn't started and it still failed. can't have anything to do with a catalog.

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
anyone from symantec have any ideas on this issue? sure would like to be able to backup to a tape.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can try updating the tape drivers. let me know if you are able to run any backup on tape ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Hi gkeramidas,

Go to your Device Manager and check the driver for your tape device.  It should be a Symantec driver.  If it is not, then in your BE console, go to Tools --> Wizards --> Device Configuration Wizard to install the Symantec driver for your tape device.

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
thanks for the response. i do have the symantec driver loaded. i've also tried the inbox win2k8 r2 driver and the vendor's driver, no luck. i can stop the services and run the tandberg diags and the tape r/w  test completes just fine.

like i mentioned, the tape drive worked with win2k3 r2 and be 9.1. but after installing win2k8 r2 and be 12.5, i can't backup to tape. i can erase a tape, label a tape, inventory a tape (it's blank, though).

i can backup to my disk folders, just not to tape.

the symantec driver is vxa-2 ide tape drive v 5.1.37.0 dated 2/12/2008.

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
some more info. when i look at the job log, i see these messages:
Not enough free disk space for temporary catalog files.

V-79-57344-34009 - There was an error processing the on tape catalogs.

now, if i didn't have enough free disk space, my backup to disk jobs wouldn't run, either.  the least free space i have on any one partiton on my server is 48gb, i would hope that's enough for a catalog. my test job is only trying to backup 1 file. my backup to disk jobs that run fine are 80+gb.

Maser
Not applicable
I had the same problem and solved it.

At first i deleted all devices in BE 12.5.
In the Mainmenu ther is an assistant for new devices.
Choose to install a new device.
You will be asked, which driver you prefer - choose Symantec driver.
You will be asked, to install without Microsoft-certificate. I said yes.
Then the assistant changes the Windows-QIC-driver to an exabyte-driver and will restart the machine.

Then i had to start the assistant again und had to install again a new device.
After the same procedure the installation finished without restarting the machine.

I restarted all Symantec-Services and since then everythings works fine!

In the Windows-Device-Manager you will see an Symantec-Driver Exabyte-2.

Good Luck.

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
maser:

thanks for your response. i tried that several times and just tried it again with no luck.

do you have a tandeberg ide vxa-2 drive?
are you running windows server 2008 r2 x64?

it may be a windows issue, i don't know. the tandberg diags run fine. this same equipment worked fine in win2003 r2 x64 and backup exec 9.1.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

At this time Backup Exec 12.5 is not supported with Windows 2008 R2 as a Media server.  If you would like to backup a Windows 2008 R2 server there has been a hotfix release that added remote agent support for Windows 2008 R2.  Windows 2008 R2 will be supported with Backup Exec 2010 when it is released.  I have provided a link below that discuss how to participate in the Beta for Backup Exec 2010. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/announcing-backup-exec-2010-public-beta-dedupe-everyw...

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
well, i downloaded and installed 2010 and i get the same error when trying to backup to tape.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Looking into the tape drive further, it is not supported with Backup Exec 2010 in an IDE configuration.  It is supported in a SCSI configuration.  At this point to continue to troubleshoot this issue, Backup Exec 12.5 will need to be installed on a Windows 2008 or a Windows 2003 server and the tape drive installed there. 

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
i guess i can just buy and resell novaback to my clients because it works fine.

gkeramidas
Level 4
Partner
ok, i just checked the compatibility list for 2010 and the drive is on there. so, now hat do i do?

VXA-2 IDE EXABYTE^VXA-2 IDE/ATAPI 8mm