cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 12.5 to folder overwrite issues

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 i have a usb drive plugged in. Setup a removable backup to disk. Started joba nd says it needed overitable media?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can find the admin guide in the BE installation directory.  It is a PDF file.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This is not the issue with the USB drive. This is the issue witerwrite Protection Period set for the media set which is configured in the job.
How many jobs are going to the USB?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi zen,

Check your overwrite settings and make sure they are correct.
Also check that you have enough free space available.

Laters!

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 thanks guys I just got up :) this is a terabyte drive, I set the media set to scratch media setup the job and still getting same response? where exactly do I make this change

there is one job now, but there will be two etc

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

In the job setup, you specify the target media set. (I always create at least on of my own.  I've had some strange behavior in the past when using the default)

then from the media tab, right click the media set\Properties  You can specify an OPP and APP.  that is the time period after the job closes to keep from overwriting the media and the time from the beginning of the job that you can add data to the tape

APP is extended each time you close an append job, but the apped period is never changed until the next overwrite job

If you need to keep data for four weeks, and run jobs each night, set the OPP of the media sets to 27 days  (and I use Overwrite for ALL B2D jobs,  Append and B2D causes all kinds of hassels)

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 i will check now and post back

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 i checked teh backup and the media is set to not overwrite and keep forever but will not let  me change this setting?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

try creating a media set of your own, edit your job to point to it, then move one of your tapes to the Scratch media set and test again

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
it is just a usb hard drive so do I just go to media and create a media set i will try and post back

the problem is I think it pointing to it but let me create and I will post back

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 what shoudl I set the overwrite protection to for the media set. I am controlling this from the backup job so thoughts?

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 ok I set to protect it for 27 days pointed the job to it and ran a test the test failed as i belieev the data that is already on there is protected and stopping. Shoudl I manualy delete everything of the usb and try again

meaning delete the data
recreated the removable backup to disk

resetup job with media set

try again?

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 this is what I get from my test please help

Media Capacity Check

Device :Removable Backup-toDisk week 1 Monday

Online Append Capacity : 0.000 MB

Online Overwrite capacity: 32,768 MB

Total append capacity : 974,848 MB

Capacity check status : Failed

where did I miss this setting? this is a TB drive

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

i belieev the data that is already on there is protected and stopping

Probably correct

Don't just delete the files.  Check the Admin Guide under Erasing Backup to Disk files.  In the v12 guide it's page 422

zenworksb
Level 4
Partner Accredited
 can yo uget me a link to that?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can find the admin guide in the BE installation directory.  It is a PDF file.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited