Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 15 Database and catalague schema

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI

I'm just looking for inforamtion about the schema of backup Exec sql DB and its relation to catalogues xml files.

Does Symantec publish such inforamtion somewhere ?? 

And next question i have - how many records can be kept in embeded SQL in BE 15 , what is exactly kept in BE DB and what in teh  catalogue??? and also how to estimatie the cataloge size - how many bytes I need per one backuped fiele ( rule of thumbs) ?

thanks
JB 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec does not publish the BEDB schema because it can change without notice.  It is not recommended that you mess with the BEDB.

The BEDB keeps information like settings, jobs and job history.

The catalog keeps the list of items that are backed up for each backup set plus a few minor things like information for SDR.  There is no rule-of-thumb because the size of each catalog depends on the number of items that are backed up.

Why are you asking these questions?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec does not publish the BEDB schema because it can change without notice.  It is not recommended that you mess with the BEDB.

The BEDB keeps information like settings, jobs and job history.

The catalog keeps the list of items that are backed up for each backup set plus a few minor things like information for SDR.  There is no rule-of-thumb because the size of each catalog depends on the number of items that are backed up.

Why are you asking these questions?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The BE schema is not published.

BE 15 installs a SQL 2008 R2 Express Edition which has a size limit of 10GB.

BEDB contains pretty much all the information about the BE environment such as BE configuration settings, job settings, device & media settings etc.

Catalogs contains 2 types of files.
XML file - Contains backup information such as date, device etc. Is a small file.
FH file - Contains detailed information about the data which was backed up. Can grow up quite large.