cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 15 backup sets not deleted.

Dotdk
Level 2

Hi

Running Backup Exec 15 on a Windows server 2012 R2 host for Hyper-V.

I use 5 indetical usb disk's that i swap daily. Connected as drive X:.

I have made a backup store call'd "Daily" that point's to X:\bedata.

Backup job has set that the backup set is write protected 3 days.

I have scheduled a Inventory run befor the backup job.

The problem is when i swap usb disk the system see the "new" disk, and it can see if there is space available for backup.

But it does not see the backup set's on the disk that is expired.

If i do a catalog on present usb disk, it see's the expired backup set and is cleaning up as expected.

But i cant schedule a catalog.

Therefore my disk is runnig full and the backup i fails.

What ohter options do i have to get i done automatic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dotdk
Level 2

Hi i made a case at Veritas.

Here is the answer.

As far as I understood, you would like to schedule a catalog job on your USB for activate the DLM process when you connect the disk and delete the old backup sets. This operation cannot be done using the console, but you can use the becmli (formally the Backup Exec command line interface): what you can do is:

• create a script with the command for run the catalog;
  • schedule the script with Windows Task Scheduler.

I'm attaching you a tech note where you can find information about that:

I made a bach file looking like this.

cmd.exe /c powershell.exe -command "& {import-module bemcli;Get-BEDiskStorageDevice "*" | Submit-BEInventoryAndCatalogMediaJob}"

And had it to run from the Windows scheduler.

And it is working :)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kf2013
   VIP   

Any feature pack installed? I encountered the same issue before in Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 1, the backup set won't be deleted even it expired. After installed Feature Pack 4, all expired backup set were deleted automatically. I think it may have some issues in FP1.

Dotdk
Level 2

Feature pack 3 is installed.

But here the expired backup set are deleted, when i run a catalog on the usb disk.

remamelo
Level 2

I have the same problem and my Backup Exec has the Fix Pack 3 Installed and even so the Backup Set from the disk is not removed automatically. The Backup Exec Server is connected with a storage Dell.

kf2013
   VIP   

Please try to install FP4. I had the same issue but after installed the FP4. All expired backup  sets were deleted automatically.

Dotdk
Level 2

Hi i made a case at Veritas.

Here is the answer.

As far as I understood, you would like to schedule a catalog job on your USB for activate the DLM process when you connect the disk and delete the old backup sets. This operation cannot be done using the console, but you can use the becmli (formally the Backup Exec command line interface): what you can do is:

• create a script with the command for run the catalog;
  • schedule the script with Windows Task Scheduler.

I'm attaching you a tech note where you can find information about that:

I made a bach file looking like this.

cmd.exe /c powershell.exe -command "& {import-module bemcli;Get-BEDiskStorageDevice "*" | Submit-BEInventoryAndCatalogMediaJob}"

And had it to run from the Windows scheduler.

And it is working :)