cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2010 r3 large ad backup

meaglin
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have a slight isseu with backup exec. I want to backup out active directory but when i select one of the domain controllers system state the backup gets really huge, 18.446.744.073.709.551.282 bytes, this while we only have a couple of servers and 40 people even all of our servers don't have this much storage. We have the agent installed on the dc.

does anyone have an idea?

Greatings

15 REPLIES 15

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you post some more details about the system state. (screenshot)

The system state can also contain a Distributed File System (DFS) and can become pretty large.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Create a restore job and in the selection dialog, select the system state backup that you have just done.  Expand the system state node and you will be able to see what is backed up in your system state backup. That why you can calculate whether the byte count makes sense.  If not, post a screenshot of your expanded system state.

meaglin
Level 3

Here's a screenshot of the system state:

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For me the screenshot is not working.....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You forgot to attach the screenshot.

meaglin
Level 3

sorry, forgot a step, it was early for me.

but here it is

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Strange, I do not see anything strange that can explain a large system state backup.
How large is it anyway, is it 18 Gb?

Is it possible to delete the job, and recreate it from scratch, just to be sure ?
And did it always had a large system state backup, or did it just became large suddenly ?

meaglin
Level 3

It's a little bit bigger than 18GB it more like 18.000PB and i have just created it from scratch on a newly installed backup exec server with all updates installed.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ah, but was the backup successfull ? I can assume you don't have a backup device that is large enough for that amount of data :)

Can you post the joblog or a screenshot of the joblog ?

meaglin
Level 3

I didn't let the job compleet because it's this large and the runtime is way to long. 60.000hours is the estimate.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok, that's a long time to get it completed...
Did you install all available patches on R3 (and pushed the remote agents again to get them updated aswell) ?

meaglin
Level 3

Yes and Yes.

Even did a uninstall of the agents and reboot of the server yesterday.

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you did not let the job complete from where did you get this figure (18.446.744.073.709.551.282 bytes)?

meaglin
Level 3

the pre-scan, this is for the normal backups a normal number

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pre-scan may not be showing the correct data. Can you only select the System State and run the backup job (do not select shadow copy components in the same job)? Also can you please provide the version of Windows and Backup Exec?