Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2012 for sql server database

ciacia
Level 2

Hi All,

Need advise here.

I have the below backup strategy in placed

1. Daily Full DB Backup Via backup exec to Tape 8pm --> let's say this tape is corrupted.
2. 3 Hourly transaction Log backup via backup exec to Tape (12am,6am,12pm,6pm)
3. Daily Full DB backup to disk (via SQL maintenance Plan).

For backup exec 2012, is there any option for (2) to work with the full backup taken by (3) to perform point in time recovery?
Technically I can restore the database (backup taken in 3)  -- restore with no recovery option (as i wish to apply transaction logs to it for point in time recovery).

Is there any option for backup exec 2012 to restore only the transaction logs to facilite my point in time recovery?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are afraid that your tape is bad, it would be better for you to do your full SQL backup by BE to disk and then have a duplicate stage to duplicate that to tape.  This way you have 2 copies of your full SQL backups and you only have to deal with one backup software.  Doing point-in-time restores with BE is a lot easier than using SQL Server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

This would not work out. You can either restore from SQL full backup or from full, diff, log backup of sql with BE.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are afraid that your tape is bad, it would be better for you to do your full SQL backup by BE to disk and then have a duplicate stage to duplicate that to tape.  This way you have 2 copies of your full SQL backups and you only have to deal with one backup software.  Doing point-in-time restores with BE is a lot easier than using SQL Server.