cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec, CIFS & NDMP

_Shk_
Level 4

Hi,

I would like to know about backup exec licesing such agent for windows, agent for app, agent for database,including, vray edition.

when to have this CIFS & NDMP licensing.

what is media server?

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. media server = server running a full installation of Backup Exec to which it backs up data. You load agent licenses on this, and via a Remote Agent installed on a server, backup applications and data to your target which can be disk or tape, or a combo.

2. For licensing, read the guide below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

3. CIFS requires no license to backup shares (or to enable that functionality), but you need a Remote Agent license installed on the media server in order to be compliant. this cannot be installed on a NAS for instance, unless it is Windows-based (running Windows Storage Server for example). NDMP requires the NDMP license.

4. I would also suggest reading the BE Admin Guide in order to understand how BE works.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. media server = server running a full installation of Backup Exec to which it backs up data. You load agent licenses on this, and via a Remote Agent installed on a server, backup applications and data to your target which can be disk or tape, or a combo.

2. For licensing, read the guide below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

3. CIFS requires no license to backup shares (or to enable that functionality), but you need a Remote Agent license installed on the media server in order to be compliant. this cannot be installed on a NAS for instance, unless it is Windows-based (running Windows Storage Server for example). NDMP requires the NDMP license.

4. I would also suggest reading the BE Admin Guide in order to understand how BE works.

Thanks!

_Shk_
Level 4

Thanks a lot for the information.