Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec cannot connect to local media server

nordy_iain
Level 2
I have an SBS 2003
backup exec 12

When a domain power user logs on to the server and laucnhes backup exec they are prompted to connect to the media server.
This requires the domain administartor username and password which I do not want to give to him.

I tried setting up a login account and giving him these details but access is denied if he enters these details.

The services are running as the domain admin account.

Has this been setup wrong and if so what do I need to do.

Thanks for your help

Iain
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hey man,

With that Remote Console it's very possible.
You can add that person's account as a user account in Backup Exec, and give them Backup Operators permissions on the local user groups of that particular server.
We use that very effectively, but I went the route of creating a domain user that our site reps use. Easier to manage that way.
Read through this article...it explains it.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It would require local administraor rights on the machine, to be able to logon to console. So, for SBS, domain admin is the only option. Alternatively, you can install remote admin console on another machine and make ordinary users local admin of that machine and they can logon from there.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hey man,

With that Remote Console it's very possible.
You can add that person's account as a user account in Backup Exec, and give them Backup Operators permissions on the local user groups of that particular server.
We use that very effectively, but I went the route of creating a domain user that our site reps use. Easier to manage that way.
Read through this article...it explains it.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

nordy_iain
Level 2
Thanks for all your help.

I installed the remote consol and added the user to the backup operators group.

worked perfectly.

Thanks