cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec strategy for 3TB of data?

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Hi, I went through troubleshooting with Symantec support several times and got the backup exec server running well.  Now I have added about 2TB more data to the original 1.2TB data store in the dedupe folder and it takes more than 3 days to run the verify job (which is attached to the backup job).

We are backing up multiple drive share folders.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to reconfigure this so that our incrementals can run on the initial 1.2TB of data that we started out with and also back up the extra 2TB and verify it as well.  The incrementals are not running and it says "superseded" every day.  This is unacceptable and we need a solution.

The only thing I can think of is de-selecting the new data that we added and putting it into its own separate job.  I'm not sure if this will alleviate the "superseded" status of the incremental backup though.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Rudy_M
Not applicable

Dennis,

Without more details I cannot give you a “silver bullet” to help resolve the issue, but my immediate thought is that if you are using Backup Exec 2012, then you should ensure that you have the latest PDDE hotfix installed.  This patch can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180962

This patch will have to be installed on your BE Media server as making sure you are updating the Agent for Windows Systems on all remote machines you are protecting.  I would also suggest that you enable Client Side DeDuplication for the job in question.  To give you the most complete answer possible I need to ask for some additional information about your environment.  Can you please let me know about the following items:

1. Are you using Backup Exec 2012 or 2010 (Also supply hotfix level)
  2. Are you using Client Side or Server Side DeDuplication?,
  3. What is the DeDup ratio you are achieving?
  4. What is the network connection? (WAN or LAN) between the servers
  5. Is the data all coming from one server or are the 1.2TB and 2TB stores on separate machines.
  6. Are any backup or a duplicates running in the environment from the media server housing the DeDup store at the time the verify is running?
  7. What is the data type, and is GRT involved in your backup jobs.

Thanks.

Moe_Howard
Level 4
Right off the bat it sounds like you have a scheduling issue with another job. Due to the length of time it takes to complete the verify (3 days) my guess is that this is the root of the problem. Look at what job(s) is superseding the incremental jobs. Inb the UI, click on the 'Backup and Restore' tab. They've added a nifty Backup Calendar feature on the ribbon. This will provide you a glance at what jobs are trumping and which are jobs are being superseded. Hope this helps...