cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec was unable to initialize and communicate with the device (unspecified error)

Projc
Level 2

The full message in my active alerts say: 

Server: Backup1
Storage: Disk storage 0001
Job Name: --NA--
Date and Time: 7/31/2012 9:34:23 AM

Message: Backup Exec was unable to initialize and communicate with the device Disk storage 0001 [FIXEDB2DDevice    1.00] (Unspecified error).  Click the link below for more information on how to diagnose the problem.

Click here for more information: Knowledge Base article # V-275-1017

Background information leading to these events:

Yesterday I re-created the E drive on Backup1. This caused a problem with the Backup Exec “Disk storage 0001” device which is a backup to disk folder going to the E drive. We do not use this and never will, but it’s causing error messages and device discovery to take a long time. I would like to either make it work properly or delete it all together. However, when I delete it I get a "catastrophic" failure message and the device is not removed. The only support topic I found about this was outdated and for deleting disk folder on an unavailable NAS device and it said you need to contact support so they can manipulate the database.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you disable and enable the problem Disk Storage, what did the alert says?

I am able to delete a Disk Storage from a drive which I formatted without encountering any problems.

Projc
Level 2

when i try to delete disk storage 0001.  i get this error message:

Unable to delete the disk storage. 
Catastrophic failure. 

strger2012
Level 3

Same problem, can´t delete obsolete disk-drive.

Catastrophic failure....

What can I do?

STRGER
Level 3

Has anyone solved this problem?

Can´t delete disk storage - "Unable to delete the disk storage.
Catastrophic failure."

No Help from Symantec?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you end up stuck with a storage device that will not delete you have to directly edit within the database and to get help with this you should log a formal support case.