cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup fails on exchange mailboxes - V-79-57344-33928 error

Gavin_Hooper_2
Level 3
Morning,

I have a Veritas SBS Edition V10 (Rev 5520) server that keeps failing when backing up exchange mailboxes. Please see part of the log below: -

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\OFFICESERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.

Access denied to file "FirstName" "surname" Top of Information StoreInboxTest.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.

We have around 20 of these logged. I have searched the KB and tried several things. I have created a new user with full rights to the mailboxes via the network - logon accounts option with out success.

They only have one server so veritas is installed on the exchange server... any help would be appriciated..

Many Thanks

Jon
4 REPLIES 4

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Ensure that the Log On Account used to connect to the Exchange mailboxes has Exchange Full Admin rights.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/242606

Make sure that the mailbox is not hidden in GAL.

Verify that the account is member of Domain Admin group and local administrator group of Exchange server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Christel_Carson
Not applicable
Hi,

We're receiving the exact same error, but we are using Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.1 Rev5629. We are running Exchange Server 2003 and Backup Exec is not installed on this server, but on a different server. I've checked some of the things mentioned like service account, permissions, GAL, etc; but continue to have this problem. This is only occurring when we try to run a Brick Level Backup. Any help you can provide for us is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christel

Gavin_Hooper_2
Level 3
Morning,

I have checked that the account used to do the backups has full access, I have even created a new account as documented, given the neccessary rights and i am still having the same problems.

The emails that it can't backup due to the access denied error don't actually exist in exchange....??

Any other ideas?

Thanks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the technote given below and check if Exchange is properly configured.

(title) How to configure a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 2000 individual mailbox backup for Backup Exec 8.x, 9.x or 10.x software

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249456

Please make sure following:

First of all make sure you have given following rights to the backup exec service account.
1) Domain admin
2) Exchange full admin
3) Local admin of the remote exchange machine.
Most of the time account does not have "Domain admin" and "Exchange FUll admin" rights.
4) Most Important: Make sure the Backupexec service account has a unique mailbox (Ex-"admin" and "administrator" is not unique because they contain the same subset of characters).

If not please create it and activate the mailbox by sending atleast one mail.You can even check in the system manager if the mailbox is listed there or not?
If this does not help,Proceed further.

Is the mailbox hidden in the exchange address list.
If yes, then please Unhide the mailbox from Exchange Address lists. (From the active-directory--right click the user--properties---click exchange advanced---uncheck the box.

If nothing helps, Create a new user in the A/D and give it all the rights (Local/domain/exchange full) admin rights and try to attach with this account.

Let us know if this helps.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.