cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup failure with New backup tape

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear every professional here,

Im using the monthly backup tape to backup every month and using daily backup tape to backup everyday. (actually all the monthly and daily backup tape are same, there are IBM LTO just label are different)
p/s: This backup method had run almost 2 years.

But yesterday my backup job is fail to backup (my job list only have this backup job which is for monthly and daily backup), the backup tape im using is monthly backup tape.

So, i thought is backup tape problem and i manage to create a new backup tape. After created a new backup tape, i tried to backup but fail. (previously i had face this issue, but after i create new backup tape, problem solved)

Very weird, i tried using the daily backup tape but it's success to backup.
I had created 4pcs NEW backup tape, all fail to backup.
I had using cleaning cartridge to clean the IBM backup device many time.

If all the backup tape is fail to backup, i have confident to solve this issue. But now, some of the backup tape run with no error, some backup tape is fail to backup, i really no idea about this.

Is it hardware problem? i can backup with using daily backup tape.
is it tape configuration problem? i had create new backup tape before, i think should be no problem.

Backup exec error:
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

An unknown error occurred on device "IBM 1".
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Do you face this issue before? please help me...

million thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I would suggest you to

1  : Create a NEW monthly job with NEW selection list and run it on the problem tape...
2  : Perform a Long Erase on the problem tape and run the monthly backup

xxizocxx
Level 3
2nd option i tried already, later i will try the 1st one.

Hope this can work.

Thank you very much

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280508.htm

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear CraigV,

I have refer this before.

I have no event ID 7,9,11, and 15.
I have no install the Robotic Library, but its can backup completely almost 2 years
I manage to backup with daily daily backup tape, so i think is not IO error.

Anywhere thank for your reference.

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear Dev_T,

I have tried to create a NEW backup job.
Still same, unable to backup. 

Forgot to mention, all the test run is success.

Any idea?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please try:

1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Library
2  : Disconnect the library and turn ON the server
3  : turn OFF the server and connect the library back
4  : Turn the Library and let it come up...
5  : Turn ON the server and try to run the same NEW job...

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear Dev_T,

May i know where can turn the library off?

is it robotic library?

But i have no install robotic library.
is that affact? because ran the backup almost 2 years with out robotic library.

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Hi xxizocxx,

May i know where can turn the library off?
What he meant when he says turn off is to switch it off or remove power from the device.

What tape device are you using?  Let us know the brand and model no.

Check your alerts and see if there are any error alerts there.

xxizocxx
Level 3
OIC....

I using IBM Ultrium LTO 3 totalstarage, 3580-L33.

The alert show A hardware error occurred.....nothing else.

Is it possible hardware problem? so i can contact IBM to have a check, because still under warranty, but i afraid that IBM only take care about the hardware issue.

Thanks PKH

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
i belive its an issue with the hardware itself .  You can try updating the drivers for the SCSI card and then reinstall the Symantec drivers for the tape drive...

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear PKH.

I have follow the step from the Dev_T, it's still same.

Run the backup job, then job status show: 
queued,
then snapshot,
then straight away jump to backup failure.

the process just within 1 minute.

error is same.

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear RahulG,

Okie, i will try tomorrow.

very weird, i have no change any setting, no update, but suddenly got this problem.

As i said,
Is it hardware problem? i can backup using daily backup tape. monthly bcakup tape actually same with daily backup tape, just different label.
is it tape configuration problem? i had create new backup tape before, i think should be no problem.
Is driver problem? but i don't update any driver,patch even change system setting recently, Its automatic run out of function???-_-

Regards 

Bolivar
Level 3
recreate a new tape and give it the same label as the tape that is having the problem. associate the tape with the same media set.

Bolivar
Level 3
how old are your tapes, do you retention them?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Last thing to try do is create a manual backup job that doesn't include Exchange/SQL etc...just a couple of files. See if that then runs to tape. If not, it's hardware failure. You can log a call with IBM in your country to come check it out.
Otherwise see if there are any diagnostic tools on the IBM website for you to download and run against your hardware.

xxizocxx
Level 3

Yes this method i tried before, even change the label name(for totally new tape). But still not function at all..

xxizocxx
Level 3
for new backup tape, i think 1 year....seal and put at store room

but for the monthly and daily backup tape are separate with the new backup tape. Put at safety box with drier.

xxizocxx
Level 3
I tried to create a manual backup job with local file (just a .txt file)...still same, cannot backup.

If hardware failure but i still can backup with those daily backup tape...so this is the point confusing me.

But final step i will contact IBM, so now try to search and downlaod see whether have tools to test and diagnostic the backup device.

Oh ya, i have another backup device which is same model as current backup device. Maybe i try replace the backup device and run the testing.
* If direct power off the backup device is not affacted to the system right? no need to shut the server down right?

Regards

Bolivar
Level 3
Can you paste the job failure log please?