cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup failure with New backup tape

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear every professional here,

Im using the monthly backup tape to backup every month and using daily backup tape to backup everyday. (actually all the monthly and daily backup tape are same, there are IBM LTO just label are different)
p/s: This backup method had run almost 2 years.

But yesterday my backup job is fail to backup (my job list only have this backup job which is for monthly and daily backup), the backup tape im using is monthly backup tape.

So, i thought is backup tape problem and i manage to create a new backup tape. After created a new backup tape, i tried to backup but fail. (previously i had face this issue, but after i create new backup tape, problem solved)

Very weird, i tried using the daily backup tape but it's success to backup.
I had created 4pcs NEW backup tape, all fail to backup.
I had using cleaning cartridge to clean the IBM backup device many time.

If all the backup tape is fail to backup, i have confident to solve this issue. But now, some of the backup tape run with no error, some backup tape is fail to backup, i really no idea about this.

Is it hardware problem? i can backup with using daily backup tape.
is it tape configuration problem? i had create new backup tape before, i think should be no problem.

Backup exec error:
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

An unknown error occurred on device "IBM 1".
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Do you face this issue before? please help me...

million thanks
31 REPLIES 31

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear Bolivar,

Here is the job failure log.

Backup exec error:
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

An unknown error occurred on device "IBM 1".
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Regards

xxizocxx
Level 3
Dear CraigV,

I have downlaod the IBM Backup device diagnostic software.

There is  ITDI GUI and ITDI command Edition.

Result from the diagnostic show no error for the backup device and backup failure tape.
So, i consider that not hardware issue, even i call IBM they will not take care about this due to hardware is functioning well.

So, i suspected that Symantec backup exex was the source to made backup failure.

I try troubleshoot now, if still cannot solve this issue, maybe pay for the support from software vendor.

Regards

Bolivar
Level 3
did you create the backup manually or just use the wizard with defalt settings? click on tools and options at the top to check all the default settings. also make sure the media is available (in scratch or expired status) check your dates to hold media. the job will fail if its choosing a media that is not expired to overwrite.

iZoC
Level 3
Dear Bolivar,

Yes, i've tried manual and using wizard to create a backup job, but all fail to backup into backup tape.
For the media, i've select allow to overwrite and sure that media is not in expired or offline media.

Regards

Bolivar
Level 3
did you find a solution?

iZoC
Level 3
No...

So far, my vendor been here and try to use NT backup but fail!
After checked, My "Computer manaement > storage > Removable Storage > Library" have a red cross(disable).

So NT backup is not available, due to disable.
But my Backup exec still can backup data with disable status.

After restart, the cross still there.

I think need to reinstall the Backup exec. (not sure Backup exec have repair function?)

Regards

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I think need to reinstall the Backup exec. (not sure Backup exec have repair function?)

Backup Exec does indeed have a repair install option.

(Be sure to re-apply the latest service pack after the repair )

iZoC
Level 3
Dear Ken Putnam,

Thanks for you advice.
I will let you know the result soon.

Regards

iZoC
Level 3
Dear all,

I have tried to repair the backup exec, but still cannot work...
haiz...

So, actually backup failure, but fail to catalog also.

joydeepdutt
Level 4

1) To me it seems more of  tape driver or scsi firmware issue  (issue on hardware side)
restinall tape drivers  & resitnall scsi drivers/update firmware

Drivers : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_sli.jsp?pid=
select product : Backup exec for windows
search string : drivers

It should display whole list of drivers - downlaod the drivers according to your version of backup exec -- run the downloaded patch on backup exec server - once it is completed --
1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Tape Drive ( your backup device)
2  : Disconnect   Tape Drive ( your backup device) and turn ON the server
3  : turn OFF the server and connect theTape Drive ( your backup device)
4  : Turn the Tape Drive ( your backup device)and let it come up...

2) FOLLOW this doc complely :  http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm

As you mentioned that you tried to run backup on diffrent tape  & for some tapes its working good

Best way to isolate if its issue with Tapes / Tape drive (backup device) / Backup Exec  --Try below steps :

1) THIS STEP IS ONLY FOR TEST : Create a backup to DISK fodler (in devices tab - rt click on backup to disk and  create a FOLDER on DISK where you have ample space for backup  & run backup job on this Backup to DISK folder .
If job runs good then you come to know your software is not problem or does not need a repair or reisntall
Make sure you delete the Backup to DIsk folder after this job/test is compelted

2) run cleaning on tape drive - 3 times in row
3) do a long erase on tapes

Again try to run job on tape

This should help you to isolate problem majorly

Thanks

iZoC
Level 3
Thank you Joy D i will try later.

will let you know the result.

Regards

iZoC
Level 3
Hi,

I did the joy D's second method, but dose not solve my problem.

Is it i can install the latest IBM tape drive driver to my server? But my tape drive driver provider is Symantec Corporation.
*the latest IBM tape drive driver is 93G6L3S.

I still searching for the SCSI driver.

May i know what is hard read error? Because i found that those tape which is successfully perform the backup job with no hard read error.
But those tape which is unsuccessfully perform the backup job have hard read error.  Once backup fail, hard read error increase.

Anywhere, Millon thanks to joy D.

Thank you