cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup solution similar to Veritas backup exe for Win 7

Bill999
Level 3

Looking for a backup solution similar to my old Veritas Backup exec (9.1) I was running on winXP pro. Now have win 7 64-bit pro, and am looking for a similar solution that will FULLY run on win7 and can handle backup to disks and tape libraries.

I dl'ed the Symanted backup exec 2014 trial and it won't install the backup engine on win7, so I figure it is intended for bigger environments, and did not continue the installation.

Thank you.

--Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no version of BE which supports Win 7 and above.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Afaik, there is no Symantec backup solution that would fit your requirement.

Bill999
Level 3

Hm, that's too bad.  Know of any other product that might/would do those tasks?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Newer versions of BE can backup desktop OSes, but cannot be installed on them. If you have a spare server OS, then would recommend to use that server and evaluate BE 2014

SSR (Symantec System Recovery) can be installed on desktop OSes such as Win 7 and backup to disks, but not to tapes.

Arkya
Level 4
Why you are not going with BE 2010?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To suggest something from the Symantec portfolio might mean we need to understand what you are backing up and not just details of the media server Operating System.

However this will not change the basic requirement (already answered by others) that if you want to backup to tape then the media server has to run a Windows Server operating system, as desktop operating systems are no longer supported for the media server role.

Bill999
Level 3

Thank you, all.

I can certainly pursue BE2010.  Just didn't know if there were a verion of Symantec BE that was most like my old Veritas.  I've been happy with the Veritas for over 7 years, so had no reason to look elsewhere. :)

Now that I've finally "upgraded" to Win7, time to look.  For me to install a Win server just to back up the Win 7 desktop is, in my case, overkill.

I will look, but I presume BE2010 wlll not be found here?

--Bill

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 does not support Win 7 as a media server.

If you want to just backup desktops, you might want to look at DLO which backs up user files/folders, but cannot be used to recover the machine and it does not support tape.  I am not sure whether DLO can be installed on Win 7.  If you are interested, you might want to post this question on the DLO forum.

Bill999
Level 3

Tried trial download of BE 2010.  It has two options, one for BE and one for "continuous protection server."  The pre-install checker for be2010 reports:  the backup exec media server is not supported on microsoft windows client operating system."

:(

Bill999
Level 3

How far back, version wise, would I need to go for BE to fully run on Win 7?

thx.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no version of BE which supports Win 7 and above.