cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup storage read/write and hardware error occurred

RIDHO07
Level 4

Hi All, 

i have some problem with Symantec backup exec 2012 installed in windows server 2012 and backing up virtual machines.

sometimes backup running full or incremental the results succes with exception. but today backup failed with error :

Backup- \\[Server_backup]\C:

Storage device "Deduplication Storage:4" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:

No more data is on the tape.

V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Storage device "Deduplication Storage:4" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

please help me, 

thank you for kind attention and support. 

regards, 

ridho

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

i have some problem with Symantec backup exec 2012 installed in windows server 2012

BE 2012 doesn't support Win 2012 as a media server OS.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might just be lucky that it works intermittently. But if you're having issues then you need to move onto BE 2014 which does support Windows Server 2012 as a media server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV

...please read below and see if this is relevant for your issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130444

Also, if you are duplicating off to tape, make sure that there are no hardware errors with your drive by running the manufacturer's utility.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that your dedup find is damaged. You should log a support case with Symantec for them to take a look at the problem

RIDHO07
Level 4

how to check my dedup damage?
if dedup damage, why another job still running successful?

backup still failed for this job backup with virtual machines. 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

i have some problem with Symantec backup exec 2012 installed in windows server 2012

BE 2012 doesn't support Win 2012 as a media server OS.

RIDHO07
Level 4

if BE 2012 doesn't support Win 2012, another job still running successful.

because I have a 9 on the backup server with OS windows server 2012 as a media center. fifth successful backup server, another the backup job always with exceptions and failed with the error.

CraigV

...you might just be lucky that it works intermittently. But if you're having issues then you need to move onto BE 2014 which does support Windows Server 2012 as a media server.

Thanks!

RIDHO07
Level 4

what is solution for my case? besides to the upgrades to Symantec be 2014.

RIDHO07
Level 4

you can see like this.

CraigV

Well, you're on an unsupported OS...your only options would be:

1. Downgrade to a supported OS for BE 2012 which would be Windows Server 2008 R2;

2. Upgrade to BE 2014 which means no OS reinstall (and subsequent BE reinstall).

Thanks!

RIDHO07
Level 4

screenshot

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Other than downgrading your OS to Server 2008 R2, none. With an unsupported configuration, you would not be able to open a support case with Symantec

RIDHO07
Level 4

I could not choose between the two solutions above. as interconnected. 
Here we can not downgrade because there is a configuration that has been set up. 
and also can not upgrade to sym BE 2014 due to several considerations. 

any solution other than technical?

untuk BE 2012 for last idea :)

CraigV

...choose between the 2 solutions as in not sure which 1 will work? If both worked, then split the solution.

That said, you only really have 2 options for what you need to do in order to be supported.

Thanks!

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i had exact problem with Backup Exec 2014 SP1 on Windows 2012 R2 .

backup job for all servers is ok but just one windows server 2008 r2 with sql 2008 r2 is failing with :

V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred. If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean......

• deleting and recreating deduplication storage  not solved my problem
  • reinstalling agent is not solved my problem
  • running check disk on client not solved my problem

after 3 weeks of  troubleshooting , problem disappeared.

on that server 2 sql instances (2008 R2 & 2012) was installed ,2008 R2 instance was in the recovery state , after excluding sql 2008 R2 instance and folder from backup job , job completed successfully.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deduplication-disk-readwrite-error