cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to large to send by internet to NAS

Barman
Level 3

We use Backup Exec 11d 11.0 rev 7170.
I want to use a NAS outside the building to store our backup.
An incremental backup stores about 200 Gb but the following about 50Gb.
This includes the files on the server Harddisks, Exchange and SQL databases.

Questions:

1. Does the software supports secure backup's over the Internet?
  2. Is the data send by internet secure (AES 256 Bit)
  3. Are all Nas-drive supported (if not, wich do)
  4. The size of the backup restricted over the Internet in time is about 5 Gb. I'll guess that we donnot change more. How can the backup software be more efficiënt with the data?

I'm curious at the answer(s)

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Barman,

To answer a couple of questions:

1. BE would be able to duplicate a backup across a WAN to a NAS. You'd run the backup initially on your primary site, and then schedule a duplicate job to duplicate the data to the NAS.

2. You can enable encryption in your job itself. Just make a plan to ensure you have a copy of those keys. If your backup server broke for example and you didn't have those keys, your data is lost.

3. Not all NAS devices are supported. Please refer to the BE 11d HCL below for additional information:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46703

4. You can look at running a Differential/Incremental job which will cut down the amount of data duplicated to the NAS during the week, and leave the full backup for the weekend.

Thanks!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

1.Yes

2.Backup Exec 11d includes AES 128-bit and 256-bit encryption, helping to ensure protected data is secure when moved over a network or stored on tape.

3. Mostly NAs devices which has linux base operationg system are not supported .please refer the compatibility guide to check compatible Nas device http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46703

4.Across-internet backups just don't make sense for full backups, and they rarely make sense in incremental backups in an busy environment. probably you can use CPS for replication and then backup using backup exec

Barman
Level 3

Thanks  RahuIG for your reply,

The questions 1, 2 and 3 are clear to me.

But the answer ad. 4 I donnot fully understand.

I do understand that full back-ups over the internet is not sensible, but even an incremental and a differential back-up made by Symantec Backup Exec is to large.

Is it possible / Is there a function in Backup Exec of somewhere els to use a seed load backup (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_loading) to decrease the files over the internet?

Regards,

CraigV

...you're missing the point here...Backup Exec doesn't determine the size of an INCR/DIFF backup...your rate of data change does.

BE doesn't have a seeding function.

Barman
Level 3

Thanks CraigV to reply to my question;

I understand that the size is determined by my data. But for exemple, I've got a SQL database; If 1 bit changes, Backup-Exec wants to backup the complete database, while only one bit (plus location etcetera) needs to be backuped. This is what a seed backup -as I see it- makes a more efficiënt way of backing up.

On the other hand, your other answer: "BE doesn't have a seeding function." Tells me enough; BE is EOL for me.

If i'm incorrect, please inform me.

Regards

CraigV

BE 2010 and previous versions don't seed. Neither does CA ARCserve for example, and neither does IBM TSM...

Head on over to the BE 2012 Beta and check what is coming up there...you need to sign up for it.

that said, I'd also suggest you click on the Ideas section above and add this in as an idea...

Barman
Level 3

Thanks CraigV voor your reply,

Bringing suggestions is to late; before it's fully implemented will take to long (for me).
Other software do support it I've understood. Do you know wich software do support that?

By the way, I've tried to understand your remark " the site about you can use CPS for replication". Besides a forum on Symantec I entered http://cps.ipums.org/cps/index.shtml, but I don't think you mean that website nor that Symantec on a forum my question already has answered?

Regards and again thanks for answering my question

Barman
Level 3

Dear Mr. Craig,

Though I'm critical wether a suggestion will be added in the product, I've followed your instruction and added it as a asuggestion. See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/seed-load-dump 

In the mean while 2 votes turned down the suggestion...

Regards

teiva-boy
Level 6

What you want is not posible with BackupExec, and I can't think of any product that does what you want...

However, reverse the direction of data..  NetBackup/Avamar/Commvault and client-side deduplication...  You can backup over a WAN, and pre-seed data.  You cannot send data to a "NAS," and send it efficiently, securely, or pre-seeded.  There has to be some sort of intelligence to undestand the data and a NAS alone isn't going to cut it

Side Note, BackupExec 11d is OLD.  Like circa 2003/2004 old.  Move on to a current product for support, maintenance, and application/OS compatibility.

CraigV

...not all suggestions are added into a product. The idea behind adding an Idea is to give Symantec the opportunity to look at it, and if it is worthy, I am sure they will investigate further.