cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to tape .bak file from SQL online backup

tolinrome1
Level 5

I need to backup to tape everyday the .bak file that SQL online backup makes of all it's DBs. This .bak file changes names every time SQL does the online backup of those DBs. So the problem is that I'm pretty sure that Symantec BUEX wont be able to backup a file in a specific location that changes names everyday. Also, I cannot backup the entire folder the .bak file is in since there are also many other .bak (fulls run throughout the day) and differential backup files etc, I only need to backup to tape 1 of the .bak full files.

Is there anyway that Symantec BUEX can go in and grab the .bak file everyday of the SQL online backup in these conditions? I noticed that on the Include/Exclude on the Selections List there are options to backup "files dated from" but that only gives a static date, this wont work since the day changes everyday obviously.

I just need to grab 1 .bak full file from every Online SQL Databse everyday and put it to tape. Any help?

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could setup a job to grab an INCR backup of just that one directory

Since the older SQL dumps  will have been backed up by an earlier job, only the newest will be grabbed.

Or if the backup runs the same day that the SQL dump occurs, you could select a "Working Set Backup"  see page 265 of the Admin Guide

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It would make life easier for you if you get the BE SQL agent.  You can then backup your SQL databases on the fly and you can backup and restore directly from your backup.  Right now, you are using a 2-stage backup and your restores will also be 2-stage.

tolinrome1
Level 5

I checked my licenses on the BUEX server and I do have the SQL license. When I pushed out the agents to all the servers, I assume that BUEX recognized it was a SQL server and installled that agent.

How do I know if I'm using that agent and how would it make my life easier backing up that .bak file?

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No, not quite. Installing the SQL agent license on your media unlocks the functionality to detect SQL instances on a server, and then backup/restore to them.

You'd install the RAWS agent on a server to allow BE to communicate with the agent, and therefore backup data. Because the SQL agent is already installed on the media server, it would THEN detect SQL on your remote server and allow you to back it up.

You'll know if you are using the agent by:

1. Being able to detect SQL on that remote server and backing it up without error.

2. Running a license scan to see if the license is present and being used.

A simple-enough check is to open your selection list and browse to that SQL server...if you can see Microsoft SQL Server and the DBs there-in, you're good-to-go. In that case, you don't need to back up the .bak file as you're going to be backing up the SQL instance online.

If you don't have the agent, backing up the .bak file (as previously mentioned!) is the only way to back up SQL without taking it offline.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once you start to backup your SQL databases directly using BE, you should stop backing up the databases using the SQL maintenance function.