cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to the tape almost full

trueno
Level 3

Dear all,

I've a problem when backup about 300GB data to the tape <300GB free spaces, the job is even active on schedule, it won't overwrite although it's set "append to media, overwrite if no appendable media available", then suspended when the tape really full.

Here is my system setting:
BE2010 is configure with 1/8 autoloader,
Daily full backup,
media set is appendable, 6 days overwrite period,
8 slots divided by 8 partitions

Couple questions:
Is it possible to check the backup data automatically before job start, and overwrite media if not enough spaces?

If there are several tapes in same partition and media set, which media will be selected?

Thanks your kindly support :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6

It will utilize 100GB of space from TAPE 3 and ask you to insert an overwritable tape. If the job is spanning on multiple tapes, the 1st tape can be appended but from now onwards backup exec will always ask for an overwritable tapes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

8 slots divided by 8 partitions

This means that each slot is in one partition.  When the tape in a partition is full, BE will not be able to continue because it cannot take an overwriteable tape from another partition.  You got to remove the partitions if you want BE to automatically take the next overwriteable tape from the media set.

Is it possible to check the backup data automatically before job start, and overwrite media if not enough spaces?

No. You either specify your job as overwrite or append when you create your job.

If there are several tapes in same partition and media set, which media will be selected?

BE will overwrite the oldest tape.

trueno
Level 3

Thanks your help

suppose I use the partition containing 3 slots, the tape 1,2 is full but overwrite is ok,  tape 3 is appendable but only 100GB left. What happend if I backup 300GB data to this partition?

many questions :) sorry

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The job would start to append on the tape 3 , will write 100 gb data and then overwrite the Tape 1 or tape 2 if they are overwriteable . If any job fills a media, the job will only continue on another piece of overwritable media. Backup Exec will not append to multiple media in the same job. refer the following http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

Dev_T
Level 6

It will utilize 100GB of space from TAPE 3 and ask you to insert an overwritable tape. If the job is spanning on multiple tapes, the 1st tape can be appended but from now onwards backup exec will always ask for an overwritable tapes.

trueno
Level 3

Thanks all. :)