cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup your servers.

rebaztalei
Level 3

Hi,

My symantec backup exec 10d is right now use for backups. i have set all the options the way the should be. i use a 1/8 G2 Autoloader.

I need a solution for my backup. whenever i try to mark the servers, they are staying grey. how am i supose to backup our servers on the tapes? they are all grey'd out.

i believe its something i probaly missed out. can someone help me trough this.

Before you give any suggestions, remember that i look first on the web before i post on the forum

With kind regards,
Rebaz Talei

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried using a different logon account for Backup Exec?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you install the remote agent on the servers you are trying to backup ?

rebaztalei
Level 3

whenever i create a media set. i have to mark the servers or files i want to backup. but the servers i want to backup are grey'd out. i'l give the "remote agents" a shot. i dont nkow what that exactly does. is this a necessary option?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What Operating System are the servers running on ?
And can you please post a screenshot of the option you are trying to do ?

AmolB

whenever i create a media set. i have to mark the servers or files i want to backup

Media sets are not related or dependent on the selection lists.

i'l give the "remote agents" a shot. i dont nkow what that exactly does. is this a necessary option?

Remote agents publish information of remote servers to the media server 

rebaztalei
Level 3

alright, the issue i'm bumpin on right now is whenever i try to install a remote agent, it tells me this:

"The account name or password supplied is not valid. please re-enter the login information and try again"

i'm using our administrator account/password. i dont see what i'm missing.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Here you can find some information how to install it manually:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91735

And please note that BE 10 is pretty old, Windows 2008 is not supported, so if you remote server is Windows 2008, you will need to install a newer version of BE.

rebaztalei
Level 3

alright,

i came this far to eventually connect to our servers. but the problem is. we try to backup, another backup. wich is a Nas-unit. but a nas-unit has is not a OS. it just has a interface. is there another possible way to conncet to the other backup unit, without the remote agent?

-Rebaz Talei

rebaztalei
Level 3

if someone in here does not understand what i said, i'l try to explain it in more details. i really need help

-Rebaz Talei

AmolB

So are you trying to take a backup of a NAS device?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please explain the brand and type of the NAS device.

Also make sure to create an administrative account on the NAS device and make sure backup exec connects with this info to the NAS during backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup a NAS, you normally use a CIFS share and back up this share.  You would need to add the BESA to the NAS with full read/write capabilities.