cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backupexec 12 - novell server crashed - receive SMS data error "sparse format"

Roysan
Level 3

Hello my Novell server crashed with no hope of recovery.  I can restore all files but one, with SMS data is in a sparse format.

If there any where I can restore this?  I tried to my Backup 2003 server, and a SQL server I am backing up.

2 REPLIES 2

jacobwilliam198
Level 2

When you perform a backup, you need to decide whether to keep compressed files in the same state or back them up in a decompressed state.

Listed below are few guidelines to make this decision:

Backups are faster if files are in compressed form. If volume compression is turned on and you back up compressed files in a decompressed state, restore speed is degraded when existing files are overwritten.

Compression is not supported in some environments (such as Novell Storage Services 2.0). If you intend to restore a file that is currently compressed to an environment that does not support compression, back it up in a decompressed state.

You might run out of disk space if you restore decompressed files to a volume, because the compression does not begin immediately.

If the tertiary device itself is backed up independently, choosing to back up only the stub information helps reduce the amount of data. This, in turn, helps save space on tape and increase backup performance because data does not need to be restored from the tertiary device during backup. However, restores require the HSM software to be set up and ensure tertiary storage associations are maintained as they were during the backup.

When both the stub and the data are backed up, the data is restored for the backup process. On restore, either the stub or data or both can be restored. However, backing up migrated file data can impact the backup performance because the data needs to be demigrated from a tertiary storage device. In addition, the backup would include both the target server as well as the tertiary storage data, which requires adequate planning for tape storage.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to copy substantial chunks of information from documents like this

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes/smsadmin/?page=/documentation/oes/smsadmin/data/hhc3nq5m.ht...

It is better to provide a link to the document.  Otherwise, other users might think that you are plagarising.