cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backupexecmanagementservice.exe consumes all available RAM

memoryleak2
Level 2

I have a recent problem starting to occur on Backup Exec 2016.  The Backupexec Management Service starts consuming all the RAM, then it fills the pagefile.sys which consumes all capacity on my C drive.  The service normally runs at @100k RAM, but when this apparent memory leak occurs, it consumes all 24GB RAM, plus all my pagefile.

Has anyone else experienced this error and what was the fix please?

Any help much appeciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Adding anti-virus exclusions my resolve this, please check: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046324

Also upgrade BE to latest version BE21: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100044376

Thanks and Regards

View solution in original post

Hi, Just to update you.  The significant memory leak issue still occurs since I put in the described Anti Virus exclusions.  The backupexecmanagementservice.exe starts consuming all available RAM (24GB) and all available C drive space (30GB) and then Backup Exec crashes in a heap! 

The only way that I've worked around this is to manually stop the Backup Exec Management Service (in Control Panel->Services) with the Backupexec Management console closed.  The backups still work in the background.  But if I want to view them, or make amendments, then I start the above service, access the console, then stop the service again.  If I don't or forget to do this, then my backup exec server falls over  in about ~4 hours due to running out of RAM / disk space!  It's a race against time for this memory leak!

Not ideal for a corporate backup server solution from Veritas!

I do suspect a bug has been triggered in this service caused by a Microsoft Windows update for the .Net Framework, as I've know that I've seen lots of other errrors relating to Windows Quality / Security updates to the .NET framework.  But I have no idea which Windows update has caused this.  Does anyone know what version of the .Net Framework Backupexec 16 is certified to work stably with?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Riyaj_S

Adding anti-virus exclusions my resolve this, please check: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046324

Also upgrade BE to latest version BE21: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100044376

Thanks and Regards

Ok thanks for your reply. 

I've now added the anti-virus process and folder exclusions as suggested.  I will wait to see if the backupexecmanagementservice.exe starts running out of memory again.  It seems to happen after ~20 hours.  I'll update to let you know how I get on.

Hi, Just to update you.  The significant memory leak issue still occurs since I put in the described Anti Virus exclusions.  The backupexecmanagementservice.exe starts consuming all available RAM (24GB) and all available C drive space (30GB) and then Backup Exec crashes in a heap! 

The only way that I've worked around this is to manually stop the Backup Exec Management Service (in Control Panel->Services) with the Backupexec Management console closed.  The backups still work in the background.  But if I want to view them, or make amendments, then I start the above service, access the console, then stop the service again.  If I don't or forget to do this, then my backup exec server falls over  in about ~4 hours due to running out of RAM / disk space!  It's a race against time for this memory leak!

Not ideal for a corporate backup server solution from Veritas!

I do suspect a bug has been triggered in this service caused by a Microsoft Windows update for the .Net Framework, as I've know that I've seen lots of other errrors relating to Windows Quality / Security updates to the .NET framework.  But I have no idea which Windows update has caused this.  Does anyone know what version of the .Net Framework Backupexec 16 is certified to work stably with?

Gurvinder

Hello Gurvinder, 

I appreciate your reply!

Thank you for linking the recent article which shows other people are experiencing the same memory leak from backupexecmanagementservice.exe. 

Unfortunately, a previous administrator let our backup exec maintenance expire. Despite me contacting Vertias for help, they have told me they won't help me until I purchase backup exec again (at full cost, not a maintenance renewal!!) It's a disappointing stance for Veritas to take and doesn't help me, as their customer, at all.  I am unable to justify re-purchasing a product that we've previously bought at full price, just to fix this issue with Veritas's buggy software.  I'd rather solve the root cause....  

From what you've posted it appears that this bug is across many versions, and it looks like you need to upgrade to Backupexec 21 (which is in beta/preview?)

Gurvinder

Not many customers are seeing it. We write articles even if 1 customer in the globe runs into a problem and we see an area to improve the product further. In this case, the issue is very corner and you can try to update the Dot net to 4.8 and check how it goes else restart services in a couple of days time to free the memory. The BE 21.1 has a workaround to avoid running into this so I proposed the 21.1 which is in tech preview at the moment.