cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

be2012 hang in getting active job status and CLI Get-BEActiveJobDetail hangs too

PascalFr
Level 3

Hello

I am facing the following problem. I have an IBM TS2900 with one SAS lto5 drive. BE2012 media server on win2008R2 64. I am backing up an hyperv cluster with VMs.

Sometimes the backup job is OK, but sometimes it seems BE2012 hangs at reading active jobs status, ie :

• starting GUI takes ages to get out of the "loading data" initial little popup
  • after that a little circle is constantly running on the left part of the bottom statusbar
  • in the bottom statusbar, on the left part, an exclamation sign shows up saying : unable to get activejobs state
  • running the CLI and issuing the 'Get-BEActiveJobDetail' command hangs

Each time I stop services, then start them, the same state occurs when I reconnect in the GUI. But the blue information icon in the bottom status bar has some information message that I can read showing service restart info and sometimes some jobs or reports that have ran. If reports have ran they are reported as failed but unable to find why since the report content seems ok.

Rebooting the media server clears this problem. It seems that this happens after running backup jobs.

5 REPLIES 5

PascalFr
Level 3

To reproduce, try the following

1. prereq ? a tape library with one drive and several slots
  2. start a long backup job
  3. while this job runs, start some other jobs  like export, import
  4. cancel one of the pending jobs from 3.
  5. delete one of the scheduled job which is not yet active from 3.

eventually one of your request will get very long to execute, then a timeout popup will appear

At this point, job statuses will never be updated and running jobs will never end.

Go to the BE2012 CLI and try listing jobs, it will timeout

Welcome to the Backup Exec Management Command Line Interface

To get a list of Backup Exec commands, type:

Get-BECommand

To launch the Backup Exec Management Command Line Interface Help, type:

Show-BEHelp

Copyright (c) 2012 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

BEMCLI> Get-BEJobQueue
Get-BEBackupExecServer : The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply
l to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted
At line:1 char:15
+ Get-BEJobQueue <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : OperationTimeout: (:) [Get-BEBackupExecServer], Ti
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommunicationError,BackupExec.Management.CLI.Comma

BEMCLI>

BE2012 will become unusable, even restarting services will not cure it. Only restarting the media server will put you in a usable state. After that all pending jobs will be marques failed for undetermined reason.

I did an export but there is absolutly no alert showing in the GUI; the running circle on bottom left shows the UI is waiting on 16 calls to the backup exec server but in the CLI I can find the pending alert :

BEMCLI> Get-BEAlert

Name     : Demande de support
Severity : Question
Category : MediaIntervention
Date     : 29/05/2012 22:17:08
Message  : Retirez le support du portique.

Choisissez OK pour accepter ou
           Annuler pour annuler l'opération.

PascalFr
Level 3

It seems fixed by be2012 SP1a

Billz187
Not applicable

I have had the issue of scheduled backups jobs displaying on SP1a.  The exclamation point on the bottom-left part of the screen would blink yellow.  I was unable to load the jobs calendar or view pending jobs.  I tried restarting all services to no avail.

Luckily, this server does not host any other production applications besides backups and I was able to restart it.  The restart fixed the issue.

PascalFr
Level 3

This is only a workaround and problem might come back again and again...

We are fighting to solve it with symantec...

PascalFr
Level 3

the problem is still not solved. BE2012 job engine randomly hangs at end of jobs.